Restarting!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Caprine Beings, May 4, 2013.

1. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

While we were away at fair my ducks decided to eat my lettuce and peas :( Big bummer as those peas were growing fabulous. Anyway the garden is now refenced to keep the ducks out and the veges in two days have restarted their growth. I have a couple of wholes were they ate root and all but a loss of 20% is not bad. I just wanted folks to think of their poultry and the damage they can do...and still have the veges come back.
    Tam

2. jasonmtapia

jasonmtapia New Member

Bummer it is horriabke to loose a good crop, usually the ducks go for he slugs and snails. Chickens are always a disaster in the garden. We had one hen that no matter what we did she alone would find a way in. End of story, she tasted great.

3. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Sorry for your garden loss , I also have ducks ,well just a pair of pekin and 1 male pekin/mallard cross, I did have 10 more but I fed and grew them out and butchered 4 of the mallard cross and there was so little meat that they were not worth their feed cost and the work to clean so I caught and took them to the lake. I now have the pekin setting on ? eggs .I pen mine in the pond as they are disaster like chickens when I turn them loose . There is a certain weeder type duck I thought that could be trusted not to eat veggies but I don't know what duck type it is ... GOOD LUCK

4. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

Indian Runner Ducks are the bug eating ducks that were developed for eating bugs in rice patties. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Runner_Duck
    But even these ducks eat lots of soft vegetation, so are not really meant to do their job in a vegetable garden. Using a double fence, circling the garden like a moat will let the ducks eat the bugs at the edges of the garden, yet keep them out of your food.
    Sorry the little boogers got your spring veggies.

5. Caprine Beings

Well I fixed their egg laying little carcasses! I chicken wired all around the garden :) And the peas actually will grow back, just a bit disturbed :) Our ducks do eat the bugs. Since we have had them they have taken down the mealy bug and earwig problems. I haven't seen any slugs like last year so I assume they have that under control too. I refuse to pen these ducks as their eggs are delicious as they are and did get me a 1st place at the fair.
    So I am hoping it will all work out. We have more growing time and some folks are just now planting. I will be planting a lot more in the next week for sure.

6. Caprine Beings

Since the fencing was fixed those ducks have no been back in and my peas have recouped to four inches. My lettuce has survived and I am now seeing some great leaf growth.
    I have been busy out there, knowing the garden monsters cannot get in any more, and have planted tomatoes, peppers, cabbage and have two rows ready for planting. I wish they would have eaten all the weeds instead as the lambs quarter is now running rampant as well as many other kinds of weeds.

That said I have a hen nesting, I have no idea how many eggs as I leave her alone so I will have to butcher off some later on :) Yummmy, smoked duck!

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I like smoked duck ! and I hope you have some eggs hatch out, I still have a pair of Pekin ducks and 1 male mallard that I cant catch but my female is setting on eggs now ,however yesterday my 5 waiting to deliver does were in the pond area climbing around eating leaves off the tree and one doe was just too close to the mama duck as mama left the nest and I bet the doe stepped on the eggs ,so who knows if any will hatch but mine should hatch next week . My pekins are ready to butcher in 8 weeks and I like that. I hope these ducklings will be meatier than Mallard as they were small and no fat with little to eat but the breast and not worth feeding and plucking.
    What is the best duck for butchering and eating ?

8. Caprine Beings

Pekin or giant pekin are the best for sure but Cayuga's come in as a close second. Unfortunately I have a couple of Khaki Cambells that need to go as well as one Cayuga. Lindsey got these Blue Swedish that are suppose to be bigger than the pekins and smaller than a goose. Guess we will find out later on how they taste ;)

Sorry to hear about your eggs :( If she's a good broody hen she'll find a new spot and start all over again.
    Tam

9. informative

informative New Member

Yeah my beans weren't doing very well so I just harvested them all and will use them as seed to replant instead of food.

Tomatoes got nearly destroyed by a couple of rabbits got in that area - rebuilt the fences around it bigger to hopefully keep them out this time and the new tomato plants are taking off now.

Came across this very interesting device might be good for my trees.
    http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/invention-awards-watering-plants-desert

pot planted - root bound issues discussed here
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXcw7BCOGaU&list=UUjI5jo9A8z3tmIhyX4Qf0GA&index=2&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXcw7BCOGaU&list=UUjI5jo9A8z3tmIhyX4Qf0GA&index=2&feature=plcp[/ame]

Last edited: May 23, 2013