Response to Lysigin vaccine

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by prairiegirl01, Dec 28, 2008.

1. prairiegirl01

prairiegirl01 New Member

Hi,

I'm hoping Vicki will see this and respond : ) I vaccinated my doe this fall with the Lysigin vaccine that you had recommended since she had trouble with a staph infection on her udder when she kidded last spring. And, I'm wondering if the response she had is typical or not. She immediately broke out in another staph infection on her udder--though it was not as severe as the first time since I now use a chlorhexidine spray when I milk her. I vaccinated her once and then again 21 days later. What do you think? I'm hoping she's now bred so I shouldn't vaccinate her anymore at this point, right? Is this then an annual series for her? Do you think she'll gain immunity eventually? She is getting minerals and grain (when I milk her) and kelp and good hay (mostly alfalfa). Her coat looks good as does her weight. She's been wormed. She's also been getting extra selenium and vitamin E once a month.

Thanks,

Chris

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have honestly never seen staph dermatitis after vaccination and I have used this for years. I think it was a coincidense.

Yes I do believe vaccine improves a does ability to treat disease. I do have a nice cemented milk room now and do practice mastitis prevention, but to hand milk 36 does year round for 8 years with 2 children helping me, and not have at least one case of staph mastitis in our girls? On wooden milking stands and a dirt floor....I can fairly certainly say that vaccination helps. Course there are lots of other types of mastitis :) Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I had a doe with staph dermatitis and all that helped was continuous use of BoSE for 10 days straight and penn all according to Sue Reith
    Hope your using BoSe for your extra selenium/Vit E

4. prairiegirl01

prairiegirl01 New Member

Thanks for your responses : ) She doesn't have mastitis, she has staph dermititis on her udder which she didn't have before I vaccinated her. She doesn't seem uncomfotable and her milk production remains good. I'll just keep doing what I did before--practice the best hygiene I can (with a milkstand, dirt floor and 11 yr old helper) and good nutrition and hopefully she'll heal as she did before. Sigh. Maybe I should be more aggressive with the Vit E and selenium? She is bred, I think, can this hurt her kid?

Chris