Remember that doe? udder report

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Jun 19, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Remember that doe of mine that freshened with lumps in half her udder? After getting a culture done and no sensitivity- my stupidity- I took to massaging that half w. peppermint and tea tree EOs, daily vit c and monthly BoSe/ Vit E. After 3 weeks the lumps were reduced by 50% but nothing more was happening. I quit the massage treatments and the next day the lumps must have burst as they felt flat. Then she started showing symptoms of typical mastitis. Used Excenel and Pirsue (since the original culture showed gram negative staph). Took another week and a half but the lumps are totally gone. Cultured again a couple weeks ago (at our state lab for free!!!! yay) and nothing is there, but she is drying up on that side and what is coming out is slightly yellow and thick. Looks just like when the milk is just starting to come in mixed with the colostrum.
    What is happening?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I haven't a clue PM Kaye or Vicki with this.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

You may be getting pus from the infections....which is a good thing. At least it's not still walled off! The great thing about Pirsue is that it does penatrate the tissue~getting into the infected glands. (there's a name for those glands but I'm not even attempting to spell it)

Keep milking this doe out, stripping out all that crud and massage the udder. She may dry up in that side. IF SHE DOES...make absolute CERTAIN that you dry treat that doe. If/when she dries and at again 100 days bred. There is a chance you can make this doe freshen with a even udder, next freshening. I've done it.
    Kaye

4. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Kaye - can you elaborate on dry treating. Are you talking about a full round of antibiotics when she is dry? A treatment like "Tomorrow"? And then again at 100 days bred? Details please, I think I have a doe that fits this category.

Thanks,
    Anne

5. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Not Kaye, but what I think she means by dry treat is to infuse the udder with a treatment meant for the dry period, like Pursue or Tomorrow.

Leslie

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And before Kaye comes and answers, the shortest dry period is the best for all goats udder health, but more especially for does who have had mastitis. By dry cowing it leave meds in the udder to work on the bacteria left in the dry udder...if you are dry for more than 50 days think about redrytreating her at 100 days pregnant. Vicki

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol :yeahthat Exactly.
    Kaye

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Do I need to dry treat both sides of the udder or only the infected side?

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would do both and not have to worry