Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
336 Posts
Re: record forms

What do you have in the way of disinfectants available to you? Do you have iodine, bleach or peroxide or alcohol? Or even a strong vinegar?

Are these goats going to be browsing most of their food needs or will you be giving them supplements?

How are you planning on keeping them? Will they be in a small pen area or will you have the room to rotations?

Have you read anything on ATTRA's site yet?

Have you thought about how you are going to cool the milk to keep it from souring? Is ice or cold water available to you? In warmer climates yogurt and cheese may keep better than fresh milk.

· Registered
336 Posts
Re: record forms

There is a difference between herbal worming and forage that has anti-parasitic properties. As Vicki mentioned, certain trees and plants produce tannins in them that have some evidence to suggest that they work against parasites. Lepsedeza is one I can think of now, and I know that you can plant it and have the animals graze it. (Information can be found by googling or searching ATRA.)

I was going to ask if you had a mineral you were giving the goats and what was in it.

I would also encourage you to get a microscope and begin keeping track of parasite numbers that you see. After you feed your herbals, or do something to improve their nutrition you can run a fecal test to check how things are going. I hope that after the animals become less stressed out from the move and you gradually begin to improve their diet that you will see the high egg counts begin to decrease. Gradually you will begin to notice that some animals have higher egg counts, or worse body condition, than others. It will help you make decisions on who to keep and who to eat. With the high cost of parasite control, it may be that you will also want to encourage the animals' natural hardiness as much as possible.

I think you will also have to decide what you are going to focus on with these little goats. Will it be milk production and making cheese or are you going to be letting them raise meat animals the locals can eat. How is their milk production anyway? Will they be able to sustain a longer lactation or are they in milk only as long as the kids nurse from them? I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but the local forage may not be the kind that can really sustain dairy goats and keep them healthy. If you breed them with saanens would the resulting offspring be able to sustain themselves on the local browse and grasses? That's something I would be curious to know, but I don't know the answer to that.
It does seem like breeding milk goats and breeding meat goats are very different types of management.

It's good that you have alchohol and bleach. Those are two very basic sanitizers. Your milking equipment should be glass and stainless steel or food grade plastic. With the bleach and boiling water you should be able to disinfect and scald your equipment. I would encourage you to milk in clean area, a shed perhaps, set aside in a separate area from the animals barn. I suppose flies are a problem? Is it possible for you to get a freezer? If you have a freezer then you would be able to make ice, which would make handling the fluid milk easier and safer. If you can't do that, then kefir or yogurt would be your best bet for keep any bad bacteria from contaminating the fluid milk.
Papaya and pineapple are high enzyme plants and cocoa has natural tannins. You might also consider adding garlic too. I think trying to do something with what you have on hand is better than doing nothing at all. And they may make good forage for the goats. The herbals might be part of your plan but by themselves I don't think you can rely on them.
Have you tried ordering anything from the states? Do you know what wormers they use in your area that are not working?

You mentioned that you had a dairy in you area? How are they managing their goats?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.