Recommendations for transporting goats in a Pickup

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tammy in NC, Jun 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tammy in NC

Tammy in NC New Member

We have just two Nubian cross does that for the past few years we have used our conversion van to transport them when it was time to go visit the bucks. We have retired that vehicle after 22 years and 321K! and have replaced it with an 07 Dodge Dakota Pickup. I have seen some great goat crates for the back of trucks, but they aren't collapsible. We will only need to transport them once a year and don't have a lot of storage space, so would like recommendations for something that would be collapsible for storage. If you also have ramp options that you really like, the tailgate of the truck is higher than the back end of the van was.

2. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

We bought a used cap, and trained the girls to jump up on their own, but we had a ranger then. We would put their front feet up on the tailgate, then partner lift their back ends, if they didn't just jump up on their own. They learned that when they were in heat, we took them to go visit the buck, so they would rush the gate and run over to the truck and holler at the tailgate until we took them.

3. Tammy in NC

Tammy in NC New Member

That had been my first plan, but the truck we bought came with a flexible roll- up cover which my husband really likes and doesn't want to put a cap on it, so I am looking more for ideas that would be some type of collapsible crate that could be stored when we are not using it. I've wondered about just using some Goat Panel and zip tying a "crate" together that could then be secured in the bed. Has anyone done this? My girls are not jumpers, so we need some sort of ramp as the tail gate is much higher than the back of our van was, and they didn't even like to jump up into that!

4. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

They should be able to walk up any ramp you can piece together, just make sure the surface is rough, so they don't slip. And make it at least 6' long, so its not too steep an angle. a piece of chipboard with a few 2x4's underneath to strengthen, should work. If you do make something to hold them in the back, use solid walls for the front and sides, if you have highway miles the wind might be a bit much for them.

5. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

If you have a ditch at your property line back the truck into that and walk them to the driveway to get in. Done that many times for animals and equipment.
    For a tote I prefer to see hard sided ones also for wind prevention. An old solid core door and some strips screwed to it would work for a ramp.

6. RaisingArrowsNubians

RaisingArrowsNubians New Member

Something I found handy: you can remove the plastic tank and use the rack as a goat container. Very light and convenient. I can easily load this myself and strap it in. And I got it for free!! Remove plastic tank, flip upside down and wala- good to go. If you want to get fancy and have access to a welder, you could make a door easily. But I didn't and works well[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017