reclaiming crumbly GM soap?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Sunny Daze, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

So I have been pretty successful making cheeses and decided to try my hand at some soap making. A book I have has a pretty simple recipe for GM and honey soap...or so I thought :help2 My first attempt I burnt the &*%# out of the milk when I added the lye...Ok, that was as far as I got there and decided to do more research. Take two...Had frozen milk, added lye, and made it through that step! Finished the process, poured into mold, let sit 2 days, took out of the mold and when i went to slice it it just crumbles! Same book says you can reclaim by added water, melting soap down, and bring to a boil till it thickens. SO that was this mornings project....except it just won't get the right texture. It just looks like a big pot of...well....lard! But not smooth and gel like, sort of cellulitish looking..lol. I still have some more to try and save, but not sure if I can or just do over! I am getting quite frusterated. Is there anything I should be doing different? What does it usually mean when you have crumbly soap? Any advice appreciated!!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

This was an old thread on the dish (soapdishforum.com) but when you run most books recipes through lye calculators they are wrong, some horribly so.

So I would not blame it on you or your technique but the recipe.

Smash all the offending soap into a crock pot wet on high, add a 1/2 cup of water and some more oil, maybe 1/4 cup, and let it cook...come back and stir it every 15 mintues or so. Then when it's all hot vaseline, stick blend it smooth if you can, pour it into your prepared mods and let it set. Cut when it is no longer super soft. It's just soo much eaiser to rebatch with too much liquid so you can pour the offending mass, to at least make a nice smooth soap, than to not add more water and oil and try to fit chunky mash potatoes into your mold :)

I think the wallmart recipe in the sticky above is the best way to start...it's bomb proof, gives you time to learn to swirl, yet isn't going to take forever to trace if you don't have a stick blender. Then when you have mastered it, then move to other recipes with different oils. Vicki

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I agree with Vicki, you should always put your soap recipes thru a calculator and there are some good ones on line, you can google them.. MMS has a very good one.. It sounds as tho your recipe may have been just a little bit lye heavy so adding the oils like Vicki says may correct it.. You can tongue test it to see if it has a zap to it after cooking in crock pot..
    If it zaps after you process it like Vicki says, I would not use it for bathing, maybe for laundry soap or something else...
    Getting a good scales is a good way of making sure your recipe is correct, if you try to measure soaping by way of measuring cups, kitchen utensils etc... You will have alot of mistakes or errors.. Walmart sells a nice electronic scales for 20.00 that is nice for people just beginning.. It was the one that I used.. still have mine and keep if in case the other crashes
    Barbara

4. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Thanks, I will give it a try with some more oils and see if I can salvage the last of it. Next time I will definitely use the lye calculator, and off to walmart to get a scale! I guess I figured since the recipe came out of a book, it must work! ha! :)