Real fat doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hamilton40, Jun 30, 2008.

1. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have read a lot of your old post trying to find some info. on this with no luck. Maybe some of you have had this same problem. I have 2 Nubian does that I bought a few months ago. one is 3 and the other one is 4 the 3 they are both very over weight but the 3 year old is really big. I feed free choice good Alfalfa hay with no grain at all to my dry does. She don't seem to eat any more than the rest of my goats but she keeps getting bigger. I messured her belly last night before I put fresh hay out and with the tape pulled tight was 57" and she gets bigger after she eats. All of my other does look good, Not over or under weight. Should I pen her up and ration her hay? I do not think there is any way she will breed as fat as she is. What do you think?
    Clay

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If she were my doe I certainly wouldn't be feeding her alfalfa since she is dry and not bred.

Can you put her and the other fat doe in a Jenny Craig pen and only feed them grass hay?

Sara

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have to agree with Sara but are you sure they aren't pg now?? and also are you sure it isn't and over active rumen.

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

:yeahthat

Or there is a condition were there stomach is just big , usually in Saanens tho. Is it just there bellys or do they have fat over the shoulders also ?

Patty

5. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I could put them in a pen by themselves and feed them grass hay I just hate to buy grass hay goats don't get much out of it and it cost 40% more than Alfalfa. I just can't see paying more for less. They are not bred. I don't think it is just a over active rumen, She is ballooned out about the same on both sides. And yes she has quit a lot of fat everywhere, Shoulders, neck, chest, Pretty much everywhere. She seems very uncomfortable she will eat and then she lays down and chews her cud and moans and in a while she gets up and eats some more. Thanks for your help and advise on this. I guise a good diet is in order,
    Clay

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Do your goats have a pasture to browse in? I have a chubby doe that didn't get bred last year and I made the mistake of drying her up in late spring, just in case the buckling bred her. I put her out in the pasture for most of the day and she gets a bit of alfalfa. I figure the reduced calories and exercise should help. Kathie

7. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I don't have a pasture. They are in about a 1/2 acre pen with a dry wash in the middle so they have a hill to go up and down. But this is all natural desert they have some dry brush and bushes for a little browse but no green at all.

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Your dry, fat does shouldn't be getting any alfalfa. They aren't working (milking, bred) and therefore don't need it. It is only making them fat. They are Nubians afterall. :)

Put them in a diet pen and feed them grass hay only. You can take some weight off this way, but hopefully you can get them bred and then they can attempt to milk off some of the remaining extra weight.

Sara

9. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I was hoping to breed them but I don't think it is going to happen until she looses some weight. She went in heat about a week and a half ago and my buck just kept falling off (she is real wide) I guess I will just pen them up and get some grass hay in them. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Clay

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

For all that fat you see on the outside...there's double or triple that around the organs on the inside. NOW, is the best time to get that weight off and it will take a couple of months. I wouldn't try to do it after you get her bred. You're right in assuming that fat doe is going to be hard to breed. There's layers of fat around those ovaries.

Patty, that's called "drop stomach" and yes, it's mistaken for fat by some. Then there's the does that have exceptionally good body capacity. These animals you can still find some withers and feel the ribs on and they're not considered fat.
    Kaye

11. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Hi,
    Is there a way to post a picture of her on here?
    Thanks
    Clay

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You will be fighting a battle with her. She is an easy keeper, and you need to get her off alfalfa until she is bred. Zero grain until 100 days pregnant and blood test her to make sure she is pregnant after you breed her. If you do get her bred you need to keep her in milk and get her bred next year before she dries.

She doesn't have alot of dairy character, seen in the short neck and the thighs in the rear veiw.

She is a stunning doe and it's a shame she is this way, because even dieted down in a Jenny Craig pen :) she will never get rid of the hangy baggy fat at her point of elbow. She is so packed with internal fat that her stomach...s pooch out like she is bloated. If you don't get some of this weight off her now before you breed her, she will likely either not breed or in late pregnancy come down with true toxemia, which will kill the kids and can kill her. Vicki

13. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I am pretty sure she will never breed the way she is. I bought 5 goats off of a woman about 2 or 3 months ago. They had them on goat rations and free choice alfalfa. I never give grain of any kind to a goat unless they are either bred or in milk anyway this one and one more where both about the same size, The other one has dropped 20 or 30 lbs and is still loosing some slowly but I just have had no luck getting this one to loose anything. I have always fed free choice alfalfa and as long as they are doing a job (either bred or being milked) they have always looked good but I guess these two will have to get grass hay in another pen until I can thin them down some and get them bred. Thanks everyone for your help and thanks too Amy for posting the pictures for me.
    Clay

14. No problem with posting them. Glad I could help. She's a sweet looking girl.

I agree with the other members. And goodluck!! Keep us updated!!

15. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Wow Clay,
    I wish alfalfa were less expensive here! It is just about twice as much as grass hay! We're paying around 4-5 dollars a bale for this years grass or oat hay right now...about 6-9 dollars for alfalfa.
    (Central Virginia) (40 pounds) What are you paying where you are?
    Anita

16. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I buy 3 strand good alfalfa 90 to 100lbs for 10.50 and grass is 12.50 - 15.00 depending on the quality. I am about 45 miles west of Phoenix, Az.
    Clay

17. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

You lucky, dog. That NM and Arizona alfalfa is some of the best!

Oh, my, she's a little porker. Yes, she definately needs a Jennie Craig pen. That doe...without even cutting her open...has layers of fat around those ovaries. LOL...I'm glad you're too far away for me to AI her! Because she's even got fat layers around the cervix. Seen it before.
    Kaye