Reading the tentative LA schedule for 2008...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

And I see that here in TX we are in mid to late May.

Second time to do LA and second time that I guess I will get out of getting ready for it by having a newborn! :lol

Maybe this is how we can predict LA dates for this area...count out 4 weeks after the Carlsons have a new baby and VOILA! plan for then! :lol

(But at least I wont have to do what I threatened...leave LA to go inside and have a baby then come back out and finish LA :) )

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I knew there was some sort of good reason that I was not doing LAs. My days of using having a baby as an excuse or a reason are well over. Hummm...maybe I can figure out a formula using grandbabies :sigh

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I was soo hoping for late April or early May, so I don't have to cull milkers by myself! Now wonder who it will be???? Vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Vicki should we plan on bringing BeyBee down for this ??

5. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Oh.. I LOVE that spelling. Can I use it for a kid? Have a doe named Sugar Baby and wanted to spin off that. Named the last one Sugar.

At least you get to plan on the date. The list does not even include MS.

Rett

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You have to ask Vicki this is Lonesome Doe BeyBee

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

This'll be my 1st year to do LA, so I don't quite know how it works. Why would you be culling milkers?

8. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I believe that she uses the LA scores to help her decide who to cull and she would far rather cull before the end of May.

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

OK- that makes sense. I'll need to cut back on my numbers this year as I see no way that I can milk 23 morning & night & work too. I just have such a hard time parting with anyone!

10. Gabe

Gabe New Member

The LA can be a help in which animals to cull, but you need to know your bloodlines very well and how they develop. ;)

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A really good way to pick names is to put them in the ADGA database for finding pedigrees, then you can see just how many hundreds of goats have that same exact name :) Shoot I am already stealing the Astoria name from the other thread...of course you can steal Baybee :)

I am freshening 21 and no way do I want to milk that many. Plus I prefer raising out as many of my doelings as I can to cull as first fresheners, our prices down in this area are excellent so it makes it worth it. But...they are also milkstand read, tested (and come with my wonderful aftercare :) LOL!!!...this will likely be the first year they don't go with a milking LA score but I really don't want to milk 21!

Yes Sondra you can bring down Beybee, or I can put her on lease on my ever owned list, no biggy either way. Vicki

12. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Oh Thanks Vicki. And yes.. I have done the ADGA name search before.
    I did that with Pan's kids. Wanted to use names with Pan in it.. so did the search thing.. then got the idea that I could just make up names with Pan as part of it.
    We have used Pan D'Licious, Pan D' Monium, Panetta, Panella, and of course the pair of Pan T's.. Silk Pan T and Lace Pan T.

We are starting with a new name line this year.. so things won't be so hard on finding names.