reading lab results

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by marytx, Apr 22, 2008.

1. marytx

marytx New Member

I recently had a CL culture done on pus from an abcess. Doctor told me it was negative, but I am confused by the lab result paper.

Here's what it says, under the heading: Isolate

Arcanobacterium pyogenes
    Pseudomonas sp.
    Mixed bacterial growth
    Negative Culture Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis

Nowhere on the actual lab results does it mention CL, which was the test ordered.
    Is "corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis" another name for CL, or has it not even been tested for what it was sent off to be tested for?

thanks,
    mary

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes that is the name for CL. CL is caseous (cheese) lymphnditis ( itis means inflamation of..... a lymph gland) But the bacteria that causes this lymph gland swelling is cornybacterium.

And what the pus cultured as, the pyogenes and pseudenomas which is a bacteria that is usually water born and will kill udders, are no cake walk either. vicki

3. marytx

marytx New Member

Please tell me about the pyogenes and pseudenomas, then. How would she have picked that up, and how is it spread? I kept her separate from the others until the abcess was scabbed over good. How contagious is it? What would you do next?

Thanks,
    mary

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

we just discussed the same kind of result with our vet...the arcanobacterium is the newer name for actinobacteria...in any case, a common infecting organism. It comes in as a secondary infection to a previous cut or injury and penicillin is usually 100% effective in taking care of it. :)

5. marytx

marytx New Member

She had already done a course of penicillin and a course of biomycin before the culture was done.
    I wonder if I still need to treat her again? :help2
    mary

6. marytx

marytx New Member

You know, on second thought, the test was done the first visit to the vet. She was just coming to the end of her five days on Penn, and then she had the Biomycin after the draw.
    mary