Re-using CIDR's

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NubianSoaps.com, Mar 12, 2008.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Soooo........ Who here has actually reused their CIDR's? Have you used them 3 times? Because I did. Perhaps my chlorhexideen wash was a little to agressive and took out the last of the progesterone or something but all 5 of the does who I used their CIDR's on them the 3rd time this year....all 5 of them have not kidded :crazy.

I took their CIDR's out, cleaned them and put them in ziplocks with their names on them each year....were CIDR'ed, PG600'ed, and in with GE.....AND every single blasted one of them is late.

After 10 days GE and these 5 girls were put into the pen with the other gals he was going to pen breed...so this means that all 10 of the gals will now kid in about 5 days of each other. And no I have no other breeding dates on these 5 girls. So now I am a newbie, running out to the barn everytime someone sneezes on the intercom, feeling ligiments, udder and feeling really stupid as all my friends....SARA...keep emailing me...KIDS YET????? :rofl

Thank the lord I didn't have enough dex or lute here to lute the group on their due dates...which I wouldn't have done because nobody was uddered like they were due.

All of the 5 are bred, all are positive on blood test for pregnancy...but when are they do? Today, or Tommorrow or in the next 19 freakin days... Or they are as of today 10 days late :nooo

And sadly all of you are on here asking ME questions :rofl Vicki

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Doesn't it stink!! Every spring I swear "No more pen breeding!" and then in the fall I always worry I'm gonna miss somebody-lol! Even with writing down sticky tails I had on FF get me up twice on two different nights thinking she was in labor (on the monitor) she uddered up so early and had discharge...then kidded the day after I had guessed was her dd. Anyway, good luck and you are still up on my pedestal!

3. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"Thank the lord I didn't have enough dex or lute here to lute the group on their due dates...which I wouldn't have done because nobody was uddered like they were due."

Sounds familiar!!!! Remember us calling basically BEGGING for permission to lute Dawn? And she ended up kidding TWENTY EIGHT DAYS LATER? Thankfully we listened to you. Thankfully we also were able to document her in with Winn to serve as "back up" in case that earlier breeding didnt take :lol

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK so UMMMM how abt BeyBee due Apr 8th?
    I love this thread so good to have someone who knows what their doing pulling her hair out with the rest of us :)
    Thank the good lord I didn't lute a couple of my girls that I thru in the kidding pen over a month ago because they did udder up and are still uddered up but have let them back out of the little pen.
    LeeAnne what did Dawn have?

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Dawn had a beautiful set of twins...one buckling and one doe. K is planning to list littl eboy ffor sale on the forum soon, I think.

Everysingle one of the nubians that we added this year (Diva, Dawn and Doe Re Me) gave us the same thing, one doe and one buck.

It was Diva that we lost last night :(

6. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Vicki, I've used CIDR's three times. Didn't have good results the third time. (was this year) None of the three I used them on came into heat on the days they were suppose to.
    I'd love to be able just use once.. like the Boer breeders do.. but heck.. I can't find them.. beyond smuggling them. :blush2

7. NubianSoaps.com

I have always had enough, just being the frugal person I am.....well 2 times is all they are getting from now on :) Vicki

8. I have used Cid-R's three times...worked great the first two and the third time...they was ok. Most of the time the does came into heat about a week later than when I took the Cid-R's out of them. I just use twice and then pitch the suckers. Also, I just rinse them in water after I take them out. That is the way I learned in NZ, just warm water let them soak for about 2 to 3 minutes...then put them in another one.

Ken in MO

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Twice is max...from what I've been told and tried. Two were used 3 times and the does didn't come into heat for 3 days after the CIDR pull. Soooo...I'm gonna' say, No.

The PG 600 should have made them come into heat. Now, IF it was a fertile heat??? I dunno'. Did you use them for 14 or 21 days?

Are you going to post pictures so we can help you decided when they are going to kid??? :really
    If it's any consolation...I'm waiting on a doe to kid ON HER OWN....arrggghhh, because she REALLY didn't look like she was ready when I got ready to induce. She's now uddered up, tail head raised and vulva swollen. Tee,hee...teats are glued shut and moniters on! Bedroom window is even open...bbrrrr..much to DH's dislike. The first doe that has kidded on her own here IN YEARS! And yes, she only has one breeding date and due date was Tue.!! So, join the wait, wait, wait crowd! :rofl
    Kaye

10. NubianSoaps.com

The PG 600 should have made them come into heat. Now, IF it was a fertile heat??? I dunno'. Did you use them for 14 or 21 days?

Yeah they were in heat, hand bred, rebred in 12 hours, the whole shabang. Obviously the only thing that worked was the PG600 :)

I have written down in my notes you can reuse CIDR's 3 times, and you know how I am about my notes :) They have been changed to 2.

I kept them in for 21 days, mostly because it gave me does kidding the 1st week of March, my colostrum does. Yeah right! vicki

Thanks all, we should have had this discussion last year :)

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Think positive... you are on an extended vacation. ;)

:laughcry

Sara

12. NubianSoaps.com

Yeah and 10 bags of shavings have been pooped and peed on for 10 extra days :) I will have to clean the barn again before they even start kidding! Oh and remember I made that diet stupid pact about running to and from the barn LOL!!!! Vicki

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl at Sara!
    With 21 days....it would have HAD to have been a fertile heat..."maybe".?

:lol my bet...they all start at the same time and kid at the same time!! :rofl
    Kaye

14. NubianSoaps.com

Well something was up Kaye, because GE had triplet daughters born 2 weeks ago to a hand breeding (outside breeding). And yep, I am going to be very very busy soon, I bet they all do go together.

So I won't ask if your doe has kidded yet, if you don't ask me! Vicki

15. KUrby

KUrby New Member

:shrug I am tapping foot and fingers patiently for you Vicki. I know that's got to be frustrating, but hey, they are bred! ;)
    Karen

16. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

We have proof Vicki is human and makes mistakes ;)

It's nice of you to let us laugh with you .

As I am laughing I am waiting on a doe who I forgot to write down her breeding date :really

Don't worry one of us will admit to something more funny to take the heat off you .

Patty

17. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:peepwall Hey, Vicki....my "watch and see" doe kidded today. 1 ea. Oh, you might try washing your truck...I had just finished washing the truck and had started cleaning the windows ~only one side done~ when I hear that "HEY, YOU, I'M KIDDING" squawl from the barn. Yep, got there as two feet were exposed.

Course we did get a H*** of a thunderstorm right in the middle...hail on the tin roof drowned out any noise. So, with the truck washing...I induced labor in the doe AND got more rain. :rofl
    Kaye

18. NubianSoaps.com

Did start kidding today, but a 2 year old :) Not that my truck couldn't use a washing! Glad yours kidded. Vicki

19. KUrby

KUrby New Member

Yeah vicki!! and OH my on the Thunderstorm. That usually will do the trick, cold snap, hail, rain.. Yip something crazy you don't want to be out in.
    K

20. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Rett- i just put in an order for some stuff at PBS animal health- and noticed they have CIDRs for sale, HTH.