Re-introducing Grain

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Nancy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We have an 8 year old doe that foundered this year. Currently she only gets free choice alfalfa pellets, local hay and minerals. We stopped the grain when she foundered. She is doing well now but still needs to gain some weight before breeding season. She was very thin and pregnant when we got her this year so the grain really did her in. Would it be possible to start her back on grain or would she founder again.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You won't know until you try. Make sure it's grain and not fluff so you can monitor yourself how much carbs you are giving her, not guessing from sack to sack what is in it.

A literal handful is all you can start with in a normal goat. I worte from Goat Medicine about this subject...paraphrased the change should take over 2 or 3 weeks. So if your goal is to give her a pound of grain a day, than you can see just how slowly you would move from no grain to 1 pound. Is she getting as much alfalfa as she wants? Can't imagine her being thin and on alfalfa....I can't even give my two dry gals all they want they already are porkers and they get NO grain.

Have you ran a fecal and tested her for CAE? Does with chronic health problems won't put on weight. Vicki

3. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Haven't run a fecal lately and she is cae neg. She doesn't need a lot of weight maybe 20 lbs or so. She is a large doe and after she kidded she was a rack of bones(probably 70 lbs underweight). She has been gaining weight steadily but I know if we breed her she will need to get some grain. It took us almost 4 months just to really get her back up on her feet. I just don't want her too thin going into breeding season. Thanks

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She is a large doe and after she kidded she was a rack of bones(probably 70 lbs underweight).

It's either your management of the dry period or you have cool weather worms, they don't poop alot of eggs so you don't see alot of eggs in fecal, but the adult moms simply eat everything you are feeding does. Try a winter worming this year when they are 50 and then 100 days bred. Vicki

5. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We will definitely do the worming. I got her for my dd for christmas and she kidded at the end of January. They had no clue when she was bred and was in a pen with several younger ones so she hardly got any food. We didn't know this so hence we foundered her on grain. I don't even know when they had wormed her. We did worm her right after kidding then 10 days later.