Re: dam raising-- triplets and milking

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by heather, Mar 21, 2008.

1. heather

heather New Member

my alpine had triplets wed at 5pm pacific time. i haven't pulled any all three are up and nursing. mom has big utters and was a good milker prior. my friend raises boers and suggested leaving them saying it looked like mom could support them. if i want to eventually milk her bucause i sell goat mik should i pull them off or pull one? and when can i start milking for selling and still have enough for the kids?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Heather I split this off so you can get answers for your question.

If I dam raise and want the milk I separate the babies at night after 2weeks old and milk the mom in the AM then put babies back in with her for the day.

3. heather

heather New Member

so the kids don't get food at night? like put them in a separate pen. going to massage teets to see what happens, should i pipe milk if not much is coming out. wonderingif the triplets are getting enough. i have whole cow milk.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

right after they are two weeks old they are put in a separate pen they mostly sleep at night anyway. Not sure what your talking abt when you say PIPE milk.
    Weigh the kids every day at same time of day and see if they are gaining?

5. heather

heather New Member

will a regular adult scale work (new to this) pipe meaning shove a tube down their throat, did this with two of them a few hours after being born one was gimpy and little and the other sluggish, both look good now, but gimpy one still has a funny joint thing going on in rear leg, was told this was because of how she was in utuero. took rosemary's twmp this am 102.0 but she has a cough. gave her b shot, cmpk and safegaurd yesterday. as far as my saanen that i have with the hard utter i have been massaging her her temp 102.2 still nothing coming out of that side. thnking of calling vet to make a house call, just not sure of finances (that's why i haven't called yet - tight budgtet but what all to be well and healthy. thanks for your help

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I get on a scale then get on with the goat in hand. If new borns I use a postal scale with a basket on top