Rattly doeling - not eating much

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Apr 9, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

This is Arwen's doeling. She was born Monday and Arwen was resisting letting her nurse, so we bottle fed her all day. She did great and sounded fine. Tues. morning she didn't want a bottle when I went to feed her in the morning and seemed a little hunched. It was cold and her brother was hunching a little too. I thought she may have begun nursing from mom, but asked hubby to watch her while I was at work. He said he tried to feed her a few times, but she only took a little later in the day. When I returned from work, she didn't feel as full as she did in the morning and she coughed occasionally. I tried feeding her and she only drank a little. She has been having a rattly cough. Temp was 101.7 when I first brought her in and is now 102.4, so normal for a goat. She's peeing and pooping OK. I can't get her to eat more, I took her down by mom and she did not try to nurse, so I brought her back in the house. I haven't tried tubing her because she's feisty when you mess with her and I don't want to further compromise her lungs. She doesn't feel dehydrated. I've given her BoSe and probios. Without a temp, would you give antibiotics? If so, which? I've got PennG, Biomycin, Nuflor and Excenel. Kathie

2. Rose

Rose New Member

You gave her the doe's colostrum, right?

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

She got lots of her dam's colostrum. The only milk she's gotten so far is out of her dam. Arwen makes lots of milk. She ate better this morning. She pooped alot before she ate - not meconium, but regular pasty baby milk poop. I have a hunch she may have been nursing some off her dam when I wasn't watching. I do think I'll keep her a bottle baby, though. It's easier to monitor what she eats and after dealing with a dam raised FF this morning, I prefer her to be a tame bottle doe as I plan to retain this kid. She still had a rattly cough when she first woke up, but didn't cough when she ate. Kathie

4. ellie

ellie New Member

If it were me, I'd be treating for pneumonia even without a fever. Coughing and rattling are too diagnostic not to consider that. But her temp spikes momentarially.

Good luck!

Ellie

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

:rofl

That's why I'm bottle-feeding this year...I've got four of them!!!

I would probably not use antibiotics on her. I have had a few brand new babies that seem to have rattly breathing and it clears up. The coughing may be something else though.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I'd be giving her Naxcel-dosed to weight.(1cc/50#-break it down). You don't want to deal with pneumonia in a kid this small and there's always the possiblity of aspiration pnuemonia. Not to mention a secondary infection. Just ask some that's dealt with it on here!
    Kaye

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH I so agree with Kaye on this that aspiration pneumonia is nothing to fool around with.