Rationed hay?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Sep 10, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

We switched to grass hay after a few weeks of some poor quality alfalfa. The girls really got into that grass hay and cut way back on the alfalfa pellets in the last two weeks. Feeding both free choice... Would you ration the hay in order to force them to use more alfalfa?
    We just started a new brand of pellet that they dug into this morning so it may all straighten out on its own. Hope so.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Calcium needs in your goats right now are pretty low. Most are on the down slope as far as production goes, does who freshened in the spring are on a plateau right now until heavy bred which then will decline production further. You could easily cut back on the amounts, although dietary calcium year round is important, right now not as much as in the last 50 days of pregnancy and the first 12 weeks of lactation.

Always think about this in terms of the whole herd. Unless you watch each individual goat eat do you know who is eating how much and if it is one goat who has stopped eating as much alfalfa pellets or the group as a whole? In a large herd would this be noticed? Vicki

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Good stuff to think about. Thanks Vicki. I also considered that it was a temporary gorging on the grass hay because it was something new. Didn't expect it to last more than a few days, but it's been two weeks.

The context of my question...2 does in milk and 2 doelings went from 6 lbs or more per day and alfalfa hay to about 2 lbs. per day and grass hay. We're talking a decrease of 60% plus in alfalfa intake with grain portions remaining the same. ( because milk production is steady and actually picking up a bit with cooler weather.) It may not be significant though. Will watch and observe. :):

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

This problem is now obsolete! The girls are enthralled with the Standlee alfalfa pellets. They gone through 1/4 the normal amount of hay. I love smelling those new pellets. Can almost shut my eyes and imagine that I'm in a loft full of new hay! :)

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah that is good wish I had some of them down here.

6. Judith this may sound really funny but I keep those Standlee pellet bags in my van as long as I can procrastinate, just cause I love smelling them. Great air freshener! Poor goaties! :lol Tammy

7. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Where in Tennessee was the Standlee pellets found? The only kind I can find here are Merry Mixer or TSC carries Producers Pride.
    Les

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

The Farmer's Coops - Middle TN area