Raising Prices

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tricia, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I'm feeling a bit daunted by price increases for grain and hay this winter. I'm paying $315/ton for alfalfa and grass hay versus $275 last winter (which I thought was high), and 50# bags of barley have gone from $9.95 last winter to $13.95 this.

Anyone else thinking of raising their milk or cheese or soap prices? Really hate to do it but ... I'm thinking that I won't do it during the winter when cheese sales slow down but will come spring.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have been thinking abt it but sure hate too.

3. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I don't sell milk, cheese or soap, but I do sell goats and have done milk shares. Several years ago I decided I wasn't going to sell an animal for less than it took me to raise her, and we buy everything. When people grunt when I tell them the cost of my milkers I tell them they can buy milkers cheaper. But I have blah, blah, blah, blah. BTW - All of my unwanted milkers are long gone.

But to the point of my post. You can't operate at a loss. Fresh clean milk isn't something you can get everywhere and cheese and soap are both artisan crafts. Don't sell your products short. People are paying more for everything and they understand. It costs you more to produce your product so why wouldn't your prices go up?

You will always have the young couple with the sick child. Do what you want with them, consider them your charity case but in reality how long can you operate with a continuing lowering profit margin.

If you haven't really figured out what it costs to raise your animals, do it. This is late Dec. so run the numbers for the year. (WARNING - Do not let your husband see these numbers). I bet the hard cold numbers will make your decision for you.

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:rofl

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes my prices are going up by $1 on milk, and across the board on soap, with a different price structure. We are all just very very lucky, those buying goatlings that is...that prices are already locked in on deposited kids! If you can just hold out, only get the prices your stock is worth, this is very good for the dairy goat industry. More folks selling out means more demand for our products. Think the opposite and you sell out or down and you hurt your ecomony and help ours. Sell in the spring and summer and very early fall, really late summer for top prices. Sell now and you won't get what your stock is worth. Vicki

6. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

My milk price went up this Fall when I totaled my expenses and income, and was shocked at how far in the hole I was. I had a few milk customers say it was too much, but most realize how much work goes into producing the milk, and would rather pay me a little more to do it for them! I've also had people buy goats from me (or somebody else) thinking they could save money that way, and low and behold, they're back buying milk from me again in a few months. Most people just aren't willing to commit to being home at the same time twice a day every day, and no vacations just to keep the milk flowing. I do feel bad about the will to milk in some of those does going to waste being dried off way too soon (only a month or two into the lactation!) and kept only as pets, and not utilized as the wonderful dairy animals they are! :sigh

Karen