Rabies Vacc?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madfarmer, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Does anyone vaccinate for rabies? I was just on the patio for a minute & could hear some commotion from the barn, which could mean they're making whoopie, or there's a skunk/coon/possum hanging around & it occured to me I should ask.

Tom

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes Tom a whole lot of people do use it. I don't personally as have no trees or brush. Never have had a skunk/raccoon/possum or even a squirl here. But if I had trees and brush and there were any signs of other animals around then sure I would also use it.

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I've never vaccinated the goats for rabies. I've lived in the woods with my goats since 1989 and never had a problem. Knock on wood. :) I've never smelled a skunk around our place. We have lots of squirrels and have quite a few opossums around and an occasional coon. I do vaccinate the horses for rabies. It's part of their yearly vaccines they get. They have 47+ acres they travel over in and out of woods. Every few years I'll vaccinate the dog for rabies though she never leaves her yard.

If you live in an area that has lots of skunks and they have access to your goat pasture then I might vaccinate them.

4. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Hi Tom --

We do vaccinate annually with the sheep vaccine. No licensed rabies vaccine for goats -- Cornell did Phase 1 trials for an approved vaccine around 2000 but couldn't get the funding for Phase 2 -- so no certification for a vaccinated goat.

We had dramatic declines in our small mammal populations due to rabies in the late 90s and fairly frequent reports of bat, skunk, and raccoon rabies in our town. So we vaccinate assuming that sooner or later we'll be in another period when its more prevalent.

5. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

We lost 3 Boer doe kids to a rabid skunk about 4 years ago. The skunk was the aggressive kind, and bit these kids, multiple times, on their legs. Two of the kids we knew had bites, and we had to destoy them once we got the positive test back on the skunk. The other doe came down with rabies about a month after the attack - she apparantly got a bite that we didn't see. It was a very costly ordeal, losing these pre-sold kids, plus my husband and I both had to take the rabies series, because we doctored the wounds, bare-handed, without thinking. I thought that the Health Department was going to quaranteen my herd (no selling of goats and no bringing anything in) for 6 months. But, they didn't, we just had to watch for signs of rabies in the herd for the next 12 months. Thankfully, only the 3 were lost. Our treatment was very expensive, but we are permanantly immune to rabies!!! I seriously thought of having the goats vaccinated, but it would cost a fortune to have a vet vaccinate my large herd. I would have to smuggle the rabies vaccine into Texas by friends, since you cannot have it shipped in, other than by vets. My Anatolian Shepherd dogs kill every skunk, snake, and any other varmits that get in with my goats. I just didn't have a dog in the pen with the Boer kids that were attacked. We have lots and lots of skunks here - so we try to shoot every one we see.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No I don't vaccinate here, they aren't even sure it would work on goats anyway. They also can't make you vaccinate because there is no approved vaccine for goats. Vicki

7. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Thanks, everyone. I know I've got raccoons, skunks, and possums. They're all pretty shy, but of course a rabid one would be more agressive. The best horse we ever bred was sold to our next-door neighbor, & had to be euthanized later from EPM, which is vectored by possums. So I'm probably just worrying too much.

Tom

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

As we were working with the health department on our case, they said that there are 2 types of rabies in animals, agressive and stupid. We had the aggressive kind that attacked these doe kids. But we have had numerous skunks that had the stupid kind, they just wander around aimlessly, fall down, walk into things, etc. These probably wouldn't bite anything. The skunk that bit the kids, was grabbing their legs and wouldn't turn loose. My husband picked up one kid to get it out of the way, and the skunk stayed attached to her leg!!! The virus is in the saliva and dies quickly outside the body as it dries. These doe kids were bleeding from wounds, and without thinking, I picked them up and began to brush back the hair to see how bad the wounds were. That's where my direct exposure came from, because their hair was wet from the skunk saliva. The crazy thing didn't even spray until my husband shot him. This was on a Saturday morning, we rushed the skunk to a vet that was open until noon, they got it sent off for testing, and by noon on Monday, they called to say it was positive for rabies.

9. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

I almost wouldn't mind the skunks, if it wasn't for the rabies threat. For a couple years, they had a burrow under the barn & the babies are cute as can be. We also had a black cat that would hide in the grass & jump out at Steve when he went out before daylight to feed. I think he wet his pants a couple of times! :rofl

Tom

10. NubianSoaps.com

and stupid

OH NO!!!! If there is a stupid form of rabies, how will we ever know when our NUBIANS have rabies :) OR our husbands!!!! Vicki

11. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Hmmmmm. . . do I take it that your husband isn't working on the fence yet?

Tom

12. NubianSoaps.com

Nope, and not only that I am getting posts for christmas! :) Guess that is better than a mop :) Vicki

13. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

When we moved into this house, we'd been living in a travel trailer for two years. It was just before Christmas. I gave Steve a vaccuum cleaner, but I called it a sweater. . . so, your husband's getting soap, right?

Tom