quick question about taking a baby goat on a trip today.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, May 4, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

5 week old alpine is on three bottles a day.

We are going to Baker creek festival which is almost three hours away.
    Which is better for the kid?
    Missing a 2PM bottle or making an all day trip and being around lots of people for the day?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't know which is better but I take them with in a carrier.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I think it depends on the kid, if they are used to people and dogs etc.. then they will be fine. If they are somewhat shy, it will stress them big time.
    It would be easier on them to miss their afternoon bottle.

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

My kids would probably LOVE to go to an outing. They follow me everywhere. I have a FF that LOVES to ride in the back seat (foldup seats, water-proof floor) of our little truck. She likes to go to friends house's, tractor suply, etc. HOWEVER, she HATES to be left alone in a strange place, so I have to stay outside with her, although she'd probably be just as happy with anybody else staying outside with her too. I'm sure people at your event will get a kick out of the baby, and the baby won't be left alone all day. Then again, if she's got lots of goat company, and is eating lots of hay and grain, she'd probably be okay missing her bottle. Maybe just give her an extra one before bed. Good luck!
    Anita

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I completely agree with Stacy. Leave her home.

Sara

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Leave the kid home. I feel the same way about folks who show bottle infants in fact Houston Livestock Show still has the nothing under 8 week rule, the first class starts at 2 months. The kid will get over heated, over stimulated, stress alot more out with you than at home screaming it's head off for it's bottle :) Vicki

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

While I have to confess that I have occasionally shown a kid under 8 weeks old, I do not take goats, baby or otherwise, nor my dogs and cats to family festivals. There are just too many people there and too many activities going on, not to mention, no stallls for livestock. I'm pretty sure the goat wouldn't enjoy it and I think you would have a more relaxing time if you aren't carrying a little goat around. I've had a day here and there where hubby and I have both had to be gone when the babies usually get their midday feeding. They have done just fine without it. Kathie

8. Corky

Corky New Member

I had forgotten about the bottle baby when we were getting ready to go today so I did not have time for many replies before we left.

We took her with us.
    She had the whold back of the truck inside the closed shell to herself but she never had an accident in there.

It was three hours one way. She did great.
    She was kept on a leash and she never fought once.

Yes she got a lot of attention and she walked a lot.
    She drank her bottle great but was very glad to see Mom and everyone when she got home.
    It was so cute. She saw the alpacas first and she ran to each and touched noses then she spotted Mom. Problem was there was a fence between them and she did not understand that she needed to come with me to go to the gate to get in. The only time I had trouble getting her to lead.

9. Corky

Corky New Member

I understand that she has some trama. Even though she behaved great.
    She is due for cocci treatment and worming on the 7th.
    Should I do it early this time because of the trama of the trip?

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yes, treat the baby now : )

11. Corky

Corky New Member

Thats what I thought. Will do!