quick colostrum testing question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark woodwyfe, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Have four does due in the next week. Just got my CAE results back (Elisa) all neg...BUT.. think I'd like to also have the colostrum testing done. I've been reading thru the PAVL website. ***THINK*** I understood all the directions. BUT.. didn't see any mention of colostrum. So, couple questions. How much do I need to send from each doe? Is the charge still $6.00 each even with it being colostrum instead of blood? Do I just write on the form, what it is I'm sending & what I like it tested for? :blush
    thanks in advance
    susie, mo ozarks

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Exactly...I put colostrum in the same size tube I send blood. Label clearly, put into a ziplock. I just tell them to CAE test the colostrum, same price as the blood test. I do send the tube full, because they do take off the butterfat top to test the milk. Vicki

3. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Can they test just the milk for CAE? I thought it could only be tested from blood.
    Thanks
    Clay

4. thanks Vicki... the does are due to kid within a five day or so span. Will the colostrum keep in the fridge or should I freeze it (until I have some from all four does)?
    susie

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Some are saying the freeze it now, I know when I did colostrum when Dr. Glass started his lab, he wanted it fresh and cold. I had (I admitted I had :) lots of CAE positive does for him to be guinea pigs on. I just put a coffee cup in the fridge door and keep them until Monday, then send them all in. I don't keep them though past a week.

Clay it's likely not concentrated enough in the milk to test. Vicki

6. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Thank you Vicki
    Clay

7. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I have never used a form. I just write it on a piece of paper. I am sure they would like to form better. My last group of does were spread out and the guy at the lab told me to freeze the samples and send them all at once.

Jolene