Quick Bayte users...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Merry Beth, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Merry Beth

Merry Beth New Member

Hi,
    bought the quick bayte recommended for flies and now I'm scared to use it. :( (It was expensive and I absolutely MUST use it.) could you guys tell me how you use it so that your goats don't eat it? I guess I'm not very creative these days. :D

Thanks in advance!

Meredith

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

which type do you have the grandules ?? if so just lay down a white feed sack if you have it and sprinkle some on it. won't hurt anything the goats and cats leave it alone I don't sprinkle it in the baby pens as they are so nosy but other than that never to worry.

3. goatershubby

goatershubby Guest

Is it a problem with chickens?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I put it out in my milk room the grandules and I mix the powder w/water in a spray to spray on trees or buildings and NOPE no problem with chickens as they aren't in the milk room

5. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

It says not to let the granules alone near poultry as it can kill poultry if they eat enough. We take the granules and mix it with a little milk and put it on the bags to its a slurry and our chickens wont touch it as it soaks in the paper feed sacks. The milk seems to attract them better than just the granules as well.

Ray

6. Theresa

Theresa New Member

You also don't need to put out very much for it to work. You can put a spoonful on a sack or in a paper plate. That is all you need for it to work. So I think even if they eat a little it would not hurt them. My chickens never ate it. They never seemed to mess with it.
    Theresa

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Even with a large barn I only put out about a tablespoon sprinkled on a feed sack and put under a far milkstand. Then daily I just put out a sprinkle across the sack, shake shake shake. I only pay $9 per pound and I do buy the little shaker pounds, I only have gone through 2 of these and haven't had it out for several weeks. I was going to put some out after all this rain but haven't and not one fly. Figure $18 a year for all the chemicals I ever use for flies here...that's cheap, no sprays no nothing. I do buy one $7 container of spray Bronco that I mix with Showsheen to take to shows. Vicki

8. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Any reason it can't be put up high somewhere?

9. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Just curious, does that stuff smell at all?? Because I bought some granule stuff called "Blue Streak" and man alive does it smell BAD!

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

nope doesn't smell. and really I love the new powder that you mix with water and spray also can make it thick and paint it on

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

you can put it in fly bait dealies like this...

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ez-strike-fly-bait-station-p-899.html

our chickens dont eat the quikbayt they stand around and eat the dead flies!

Madeline on here had a puppy eat an entire bowl of quikbayt. They called the manufacturer who told them that it is SO species specific that there really is no danger to other species.

12. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I read somewhere (not clue where at the moment) that you have better luck with flies if the bait is lower to the ground. I think it has to do with wind. Flies would prefer not to be in a place with moving air so if they are at ground level it is better??? I could be talking out my butt though. :rofl

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

:yeahthat

Most things say 4 ft or lower, out of direct sunlight. We also use Blue Streak in bait stations, the smell wears off after a few days and it works great here.

14. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

LeeAnne, That's just a disposable diaper wipes container with holes in it screwed to the fence. Great idea.

15. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

$15 for a disposable diaper wipe container!! are they out of their minds!! Now i need to figure out someone with kids I can snatch a wipes container from!! lol

16. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

:lol I think that benefit to it is that it snaps shut and sort of locks so that children or puppies (or goats) cannot get to the poison.

17. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thanks for sharing that LeeAnne. I've been looking for ways to keep it contained. That is so easy to duplicate. The only problem is I love watching them spin, flutter, and stretch those tiny legs to their death!

Wendy

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah the spinning and dieing...can you imagine being under one of these stations? Especially the first couple of days? It would be showering dead flies, and they sort of stick to the cement :) Vicki

19. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

One of my milk customer's kids think watching the flies die is one of the main attractions when visiting my farm. I usually put out a new feed bag with the Quik Bayte before they arrive.

20. Merry Beth

Merry Beth New Member

Thanks so much for the info and the heads up on the cheap entertainment! :D I'm going to get started dealing with the fly problem. Just wish I knew I needed so little. I bought a big expensive tub!!