Quick answer needed please about shaving my buckling ....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Jul 27, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I was wondering if it would be ok to shave my buckling today ? Aug. is almost here, and it is usually the most hot - he also seems to be heat sensitive ( which may be due to the other issues i'm having with him as well ), so i'm sure it would really help keep him cooler, however i'm just worried about his hair growing back in time for winter ? If i shave him right now, will his winter coat still come in when it is supposed to ?

I'm hopeing this would make him more cool, as well as practice for him and me ( i've never shaved a whole goat before and plan to show next year ). I also only have light duty pet clippers ( i use for doing the milker cut before my does kid ), so need to start on a smaller goat untill i can get bigger clippers. Will it be ok to not use one of the guards and just shave him all the way down ? Thanks !

2. If your worried about his coat coming back in time don't shave him all the way. Use a 6 mm guard so he still has a good layer. Tammy

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I would like to help but am so far south it would probably be the wrong answer. Here, it would be fine to shave him down with plenty of time to grow out a winter coat. The main issue would be sunburning with a too-close haircut. My goats have no issue with the heat even unshaven. It has been 101-106 since June and they lay in the sun as if to catch the rays :sigh.

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I don't worry about clipping my goats with a fine blade this time of year. Heck I clip them a couple days before State Fair with a fine blade and our State Fair is Labor Day weekend. :) They will have time to grow out before the cold weather hits.

Use sunscreen or the like to prevent sunburn if you clip him close.

Sara

5. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks everybody :+)

6. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

He he ... if you still need practice I have about 8 more ND milkers that need to be clipped and then on the the kids! Are they "smaller" enough for ya?

7. I sure wouldn't take her up on that offer. Alpine kids are small enough. Them ND kids, nope sorry, you can do them :lol. Tammy