question re: freezing milk

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by happy vagabonds, Jul 3, 2012.

1. happy vagabonds

happy vagabonds New Member

i finally sent my little wether off to his new herd yesterday and will now be able to keep some milk for myself! hooray!

i plan to use the milk initially for soap-making. i imagine i will only be getting 2# or less from her until my doeling is weaned. can i pour the milk into a gallon-sized ziplock freezer bag, then add the next days batch to the same bag (pour chilled milk onto frozen milk) until i have enough for a batch of soap? or do i need to put each days batch of milk into its own quart-sized freezer bag?

thanks in advance. *smile*

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just get ice cube trays and make ice cubes, when the tray is full and frozen pop them out into ziplocks. That way you only need to weigh the cubes, pour your lye over them and your good to go. You can spray them with Pam so they release easily from the trays. Vicki

3. jdranch

jdranch New Member

I have added one days milk to the prior days milk and haven't had any issues.

I soap 100% goat milk (no water). I measure out my milk and freeze it in a plastic container bowl. When I am going to soap, I pull out the premeasured milk and dump my lye into that container and mix. I stack my bowls in the freezer- and once they are frozen I can put another bowl in/ on top of it. I layer premeasured milk containers until I run out of containers.

When I run short on freezer space, I freeze milk in ziplocks (flat) and stack them. There has NOT been a time though when the ziplock does not get a hole, I thaw in a bowl.

4. adillenal

adillenal New Member

I do like Jennifer except I use Dannon quart yogurt containers. No ziplocks for me. I much prefer recycling plus ziplocks seem to always leak for me.

5. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

I use silicon ice cube trays! They are awesome!! I let them sit on the counter a couple of minutes and then they just pop right out!

6. happy vagabonds

happy vagabonds New Member

oh great ideas! i strained the milk and put it in ice cube trays.

even got to taste her milk for the first time today! mmm... sweet and... milky-tasting.