Question on use of...

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Caprine Beings, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Madder root, Rattanjot, or alkanet. I need info for a special order that would use one or more of these natural colorants. Has anyone used any of these natural colorants and how well do they color? I need a lavendar color. And yes it has to be natural, its for one of my holistic customers. Thanks in advance. Tammy

2. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

3. Caprine Beings

So have you used it? I read that there are issues with ph. Tammy

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH I like that red sandalwood powder

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

and Tammy you do know that mica's are natural minerals

6. Caprine Beings

I am not sure if there is any holistic purpose to micas so I will consult with the holistic gurus around here. There has to be a specific purpose behind the use of each added ingredient. So now I have more homework. Thank you all for your insights. Tammy

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

8. Kalne

Kalne New Member

What's the difference between ultramarines and micas? Those and clays are the only things I have used.

9. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Hmmm, so according to that site, micas start as a natural product but in the end they are coated with pigments (oxides and/or ultramarines) and/or FD&C colorants. Interesting. I thought I had ordered some micas at one time. Need to take a look.

10. Caprine Beings

Gurus say that if it was only for the colorant yes I could use micas but where there is certian properties that are needed in these soaps it would be better to use the Madder root and alkanet. So off I go inter-shopping ;) Tammy

11. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Be sure and let us know how it goes. I've always wanted to experiment with such but never seem to have the time.

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know that ellenessentials.com just had a natural colorant swap, she posted the results on her site and I posted it here. I know I saved it 'somewhere'

Just know that with soap being a wash off product, saying that anything is of benefit...passed that it doesn't strip off oils like detergent bars do, makes you making medical claims that puts your soap in the cosmetic catagory. And does anything really get passed the lye but color? Vicki

13. Caprine Beings

I know Vicki, this is what the client wants in the soap so all I can do is make to order right? I won't have any packaging or such involved as this is a BULK BULK order so there are several batches being made, I'm not packaging that much! Yep I looked at that last night, and looked up all the other info on it. Normal name is Bugloss. What a name!Tammy

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Nope, not here. I am waaaayyy too busy with my regular line to play around with custom orders, especially sutff I would have to experiment with just to see if it would work.

I would have to get many requests for something specific to add it to my line and even then I may introduce it as a seasonal item to see if it moves.

Sara

15. Caprine Beings

I like to experiment. So for me this is an adventure, along with my dragons blood experiment. Tammy

16. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Can you post photos of the colors you achieved by using natural colorants? I do find it interesting.

Sara

17. Caprine Beings

Yep, I am gonna post all experiments. Tammy