Question on udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Oregonian Chick, May 23, 2008.

1. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

I didn't want to hijack the udder problem thread so I am going to post a new topic. I have a FF who freshened on the 20th. She had twins and did wonderful. I pulled the girl on Wednesday to bottle raise. I hadn't milked this doe as her doeling and buckling where keeping her even and she wasn't too full. Yesterday morning however I noticed one side looked very swollen and so I thought "Oops her milk came in better get her out and milk her". Once I get her out I start to milk out that side and low and behold it is hard. OK now yall are thinking mastitis (sp). That is what I thought also. But I was able to get milk out then and kept milking her. The area that seemed to be affected was her teat and just above the teat. The rest of the udder is fine. It seemed painful for me to milk her but the milk itself was fine. No blood or off color, she is eating and drinking just fine, no signs of being ill, udder its self isn't hot to the touch at all, she is bright eyed and bushy tailed plus still feeding her buckling.

I did a hot compress last night on the udder and that helped the "hard" areas...the only thing I can think of is her milk came in so fast and she got so full that she got "clogged"? The milk comes out of the udder just fine on that side (other side isn't affected). She isn't down in production on that side either. I am stumped on this one...it is bright red/pink where affected and looking last night it looks like bruising is forming on it also. It ALMOST looks like what that one gals doe did/had on her teat. Teat is swollen looking like that but there is no scab or any dryness. It is still like that this morning. My mom is going to do a another hot compress for me today so we are hot compressing it 3 times a day. Any ideas on this? This is the first year I have really dam raised kids on their moms. I have never had this problem before with any does that have freshened *knock on wood*.

I am at a loss though at what to do about her udder...she freshened with such a great udder and is such a great looking doe and then to have this happen. What ever THIS is...I can get a picture tonight before I milk her if that will help.

Justine

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

probably edema or someone stepped on it keep up the warm compresses and milk her out 3 times a day also massage well and possible a tad of dex but wait for Vicki or Kaye or someone that knows to answer or pm them

3. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Well her udder is getting better. Still has the lump and now the skin on the teat is raw and pussy. Poor baby...I think I figured out though what happened to her. We have tons of spiders in the barn and I wonder if she got bit by a spider. I am still doing compresses and putting some salve on her to help her heal. It is getting better but taking its sweet time doing so.

Justine

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Justin I would think salve would cause it to heal slower and draw in more germs thus infecting the area. I would use something drying and even spray with fural or something to keep the flies and stuf out.