Question on soap calculator.

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Caprine Beings, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

The soapcalc.com talks about using milk fat (bovine). So I take this to be cream? If so what about goat cream? How much % fat discount would you use on a recipe with subing out 2 oz of liquid with 2 oz of milk fat? I would like to try this. Tammy

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Milk fat (bovine) is butter not cream.

Christy

3. Caprine Beings

Okay. Makes more sense. Thanks Tammy

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

can you use butter in goats milk soap or would that be overdoing the fat? Just curious.
    Anita

5. Caprine Beings

That would be why I was asking about fat discount. Still trying to figure it all out. Tammy

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Why?

Seriously, what benefit do you think that will add to your soap?

Sara

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I don't think butter makes good soap. Plug it into soapcalc to check the soap qualities and the fatty acid breakdown.

IF you decide to use butter in your soap you need to add it into the other butters and oils you plan to use. Set the super fat discount % where you normally would. It would not be counted with the liquid. It should be saponified in the end.

Christy

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Alot of people don't get that, they think the super fat can be manipulated to be the benefits of say your shea or butter by adding it at the end. We have no control of this, lye uses all butter and oils, no matter when added to make soap, it doesn't distinguish between it being added early or late.

At some point you have to say when. Can you reproduce soap made with butter for a retail account? And like Sara said, and what benefit will it give you, it's certainly not a label appeal thing. Vicki

9. Caprine Beings

As usual I was just curious. I'm just messing around with a recipe and the fat discounts. Checking out the differences. I was considering collecting some cream from the girls this coming year to try a batch. Tammy

10. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Tammy, I have used goat cream as the milk part of my recipe..I can't really tell the difference from regular milk.

11. Caprine Beings

Thanks Mishael, thats what I was wondering about with the cream. Tammy

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Not worth the time to save the cream you won't see a difference