Question on my appraised kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cannon_farms, Aug 3, 2013.

1. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

We seldom have kids appraised. Even first fresheners can be so immature that their numbers don't mean a lot. I'm more interested in seeing the scores on does that have freshened at least twice. Buck scores the same way. One of our senior herd sires has a permanent LA score of EEE 91; the other one had a yearling score of +V+ 82 in 2009 (and I don't feel he's improved enough with age to ever have him scored again). Our yearling son out of the 2012 National Champion Nubian scored a +V+ 83 this year. Both the older bucks have sired daughters that have scored in the 90s, have their milking stars and consistently are at the top of their classes both locally and nationally. I have three lovely 2013 daughters sired by the younger buck that I'm looking forward to showing in the near future. Linear appraisal is an excellent way to learn about what characteristics are being passed down from one generation to the next, but don't worry too much about low scores in younger animals or bucks. Caroline

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

It's that line :) I had a strong feeling what the ped would look like before I clicked on it. Unless you need to cut numbers drastically just give them time. One of mine from these lines app out a horrible 73 as a yearling and later a 90 as a permanent score. However if they are still absolute poor at 4 years of age then I would cut them and all the babes. And this is my opinion, you may keep as many goats as you can afford and physically care for, they are your babies not mine :)

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Oh and I always am so depressed after an LA session its silly, but the next day I look at the scores with a new light. "that's not so bad" and some of them really surprize me.

4. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I think that your assessment of "discard these as part of my goals" is a bit overly harsh, this early. Sure, keep an eye on things, but so much can change. I had two doelings that at that age, looked very similar. One had better, more proven genetics than the other, but you couldn't really tell much of a difference to look at them at that point (and they were half sisters...same sire). By the time they were yearlings, they looked VERY different and they freshened with very different udders. One was much more narrow though the body than the other and her udder was not even comparable. What's interesting is that the one with the better genetics, on paper, was not the nicer doe!

5. Cannon_farms

Cannon_farms New Member

I was once told by some one on this forum and I cant remember who but said if you want consistency dont breed Nubians. I have a prime example of twin sisters that you cant even tell are sisters and are complete opposites, one is fat and the other I have to supplement a bit to keep her in condition.
    We are going to hang onto them for now, markets not moving this time of year anyway and I will not sell them to first cash in hand. Thats my second problem I get too friggin attached to them once they are here for a while, why do they have to be such charmers.

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

LOL Oh yeah, that's me! Last year we scored 2 does 92 EEEE, a 91 VEEE and a 90VEEE....and our lowest scoring yearling was an 84. I knew that the "after appraisal blues" was coming (oh and we had two young does appraise Ec). Still, I went up to the appraiser as he rechecked his figures and scores before giving me the final sheets and asked if he minded if I asked a question. I could tell he looked a bit nervous (was I going to get all psycho on him at the last second? ;)). I just told him I needed to ask a question and my DH would appreciate it if he took the time to answer (my DH was at work at the time).

Told him that I always get bummed for about a week after appraisal and really, how bad was it? He got this totally confused look on his face (sorry, sometimes I am ALL female!) and so I pointed to my FF scores. He responded and said that that is what FF are supposed to score at and that I should feel really good about my breeding program. (That was nice and unexpected!). I told him that my DH would be glad so that I didn't wake him up at 2AM lamenting....

Bottom line...appraisal helps you see things you didn't and get affirmation of things you did do with your breeding program. Know your lines - take the scores with a grain of salt but keep in mind the information that your appraiser imparts to you and see if it resonates in 6 months or 2 years.

Any who - we all go through it and it IS a process. If you have the money and space to hold sisters over and then decide, this will help your education. If you can't/won't, then sell one or both and face forward with what you are focusing on.