Question on feeding grain and alfalfa pellets to kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by backyard_farm, Mar 13, 2008.

1. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

What is a good age to start feeding alfalfa pellets and grain to kids? My kids are almost four weeks oldand are dam raised and already nibble hay and grain dropped by the does. Are there smaller alfalfa pellets that can be bought ? And how much grain? I won't be feeding meat goat pellets either. I am not raising any of these kids for breeding, just pets. And should I give them free choice minerals and baking soda? They have been drinking water since one week old also. And what type of grain is best? My does get whole oats; should the kids get rolled since they are probably easier to digest? Will the kids be getting enough probiotics from their raw milk or will the need extra when starting food? I was thinking I would start giving each kid some kefir everyday for the probiotics, as I am sure it is better than the probios.
    Thanks,
    Belinda

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Living with mom, let them eat what mom does...oats is fine, and yes they make smaller alfalfa pellets. Your kids are nursing dirty teats, they get all sorts of bacteria from the enviornment they live in, both good and bad, so adding more bacteria in the forum of kefir or probiotics is likely not needed. Spend the time you have with them playing with them, holding them and keeping them ultra tame, don't have everytime they see you, your are poking something down them :) vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just let them mimick mom is what I do , I don't change anything for kids on moms.

4. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks Vicki and Sondra :D I have been working hard on keeping them very tame. All four of the kids love to be played with and carried and all of that. So it is good to know I don't need to do anything to make them not look forward to seeing me.
    So should I just let the kids eat out of mom's food bucket, if she will go for that? They only get grain on the milkstand and alfalfa pellets in the barn. I thought I would put out a food bucket just for the kids, away from the does , to share. How much grain and alfalfa should I start with and how much should I work up to at this age? And how often should I increase the amounts they get?
    Thanks again,
    Belinda

5. NubianSoaps.com

I would let them come with mom into the milkroom and let them eat twice a day from their own bucket in there. My kids are on free choice alfalfa pellets and their grain. If you just move the alfalfa pellet in the barn to a smaller one, then let them out with mom to eat oats, that would be perfect. Minerals, water and hay out in the barn of course, and they can browse with mom also.

Do know being with mom they will have moms adult worms so worm them with what works on mom, by 3 weeks and then whatever program you use. I would use some sort of cocci med...snowcone syrup/corid or snowcone syrup/sulfa, for 5 days every 21 days considering where you live. Vicki

6. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks Vicki , That is just what I wanted to know :D
    I do have a question about worming the kids. I didn't worm the moms after they kidded; we seem to have had one problem after another since the kids were born. I was planning to, but forgot to with all of the other problems. So, is it ok to worm moms and kids at the same time? And is it ok to give cocci meds and dewormers at the same time?
    Thanks again,
    Belinda

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'm gonna have to let Vicki comment on giving both at the same time, as it may depend a lot on the wormer that you use.
    But as a note here....last year I noticed that when I got my cocci numbers down, that my worm problems went down as well....and visa-versa.........Am thinking that the stress of having too many cocci, was leaving my young goats more vulnerable to worm increases. This is just what I noticed here as I do a lot of fecal testing......your results may be different.
    This does not mean that you treat worm problems with cocci meds, or treat cocci problems with worm meds. It's absolutely a necessary thing to know where each goat stands with each problem here....exspecially when you are dam raising them, and they are picking up lots of bad stuff when they go out nibbling with momma.

Whim

8. MBKTown

MBKTown New Member

I'm glad you asked this. I'm about to be in a similar situation. FYI - the smallest alfalfa pellets I have found so far come from Tractor Supply.

9. NubianSoaps.com

Yes you can worm and start cocci treatment the same day. Don't mix drugs but giving them one right after the other is fine.

You really should be on a firm schedule where we live. It's no biggy up north who is still freezing but today is 91 degrees, the pastures and lawns are green and never really died anyway and with the last storms all the larve in your pasture is up clinging to the grass waiting to be eating by kids and moms.

The lifecycle of cocci is 21 days, forget a cocci treatment and by the time you see diarrhea, unthriftyness, pot bellies, slow growth, it's too late, the kid crop is pretty much ruined. Not worming moms makes less milk, sets your does to die of pnemonia from a drop of blood volume.

Until you want to learn to fecal, use Cydectin and either Dimethox or Corid on your kids, and on your does just Cydectin, but right now. Vicki

10. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I cannot find the small Alfalfa pellets at our TSC. Could you give me information off of the tag, please.? TIA

11. NubianSoaps.com

Here they are BlueBonnets Nuggets. We can also get small pellets from the Bryan, Producers Coop and locally for me MG's alfalfa pellet is rabbit pellet sized, and what I will use for awhile. Vicki

12. old dominion

old dominion New Member

My kids eat the regular size pellets and always have. Every year I am amazed how early they start.

Jolene

13. NubianSoaps.com

Yes, goat medicine has a really good photo of the white heads you will see in the intestine when you butcher a goat who has had severe cocci infestation.

You can see cocci in herds. When asked they will say they don't see diarrhea so they don't treat, when the opposite is true. The diarrhea is just the end and causing death via deydration, anemia and death from pnemonia usually. The scarring of the intestine is done way before this, although with diarrhea it does slough off the intestinal lining, already impacted from the cocci, it's what the blood you see in fecal is from.

Without using prevention in the south, or cleanliness in the north, and still then you have to understand about the lifecycle of the cocci and make sure you don't overwinter occysts in a too warm barn pack...you simply will have stunted, slab sided, scruffy kids. In young kids that ethopian look, skinny over the top with big bellies is the classic look. vicki

14. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Do you think that the medication levels in medicated pellets are enough prevention in our region?
    Lee

15. NubianSoaps.com

No. And it's dosed so low that there is no way the kids can consume enough of it early enough, if you are feeding milk.

Alot like using the Deccox M...if you dont' start it early and use it every day never missing a day you will have problems. You can't purchase a 3 weeks old kid and start it on deccox m without giving it a 5 day round of corid or a sulfa to get those numbers low. Now keep the cocci numbers low with corid or a sulfa then when the kids are weaned and actually eating that 1 pound of medicated pellets to the 30 to 50 pounds of body weight the mix is drug dosed at...then yes. So Deccox M and the feed through cocci meds are really prevention and can not get high numbers of harmful cocci under control. Vicki