question on feed for pregnant does.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

Someone explain to me why, if you have does that carry multiples and have sugar problems when it gets close to kidding time.....
    Why not feed sweetgrain when uping the grain intake the last few weeks before kidding.

Why wouldn't this help prevent the problem from happening?

I am asking because I have two does that are enormous and no one is due till the end of the month and one is not due till next month.

Molly, who is 13, is huge and she has always tripleted and also has had problems with these multiple births. Both sugar and calcium.
    I am trying to figure out how to make sure she has as easy a time at her age as possable.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have taken classes on nutrition in college and though we were talking about the human diet, I would expect that it pertains to animals as well. Carbohydrates come in different forms. The sugar in sweet feed is molasses and is a simple sugar. These sugars break down quickly, give the sugar rush and quickly leave the bloodstream when the body produces insulin to compensate, resulting in a drop in blood sugar. Thus, the molasses in things like Nutridrench are good if a goat needs a quick dose of energy, but it's not something they get regularly. Grains are a source of complex carbs. They break down more slowly and provide a consistant, more moderate level of sugar in the bloodstream. This is better for overall health.
    The other thing I've learned about goats is that excess molasses can harm the beneficial organisms in the rumen which aid in digestion. This will then cause the goat to not properly process the nutrients she receives in the grain and alfalfa she's being fed. This can then set off metabolic problems like polio or milk fever.
    If a sweet feed is being used to increase the protein in a goat's diet, it should be only a small part of the grain mixture. Good alfalfa hay or pellets should help the goat get the calcium she needs and an oral calcium drench like MFO given daily for a week or so prior to and following kidding can also help prevent milk fever.

3. Corky

Corky New Member

Goatkid,
    Thank you!
    That makes sinse.
    Where do you get MFO?
    Does it burn like the other calcium drenches do?

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I got my MFO from Sharon, who I met on this forum. The drenches are not supposed to burn like the paste. I've seen some liquid CMPK on the product list of Rocky Mountain Supply out of Montana. They do have a website and I'm sure they will ship you some.

5. Corky

Corky New Member

CMPK liquid burns! I have that.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have used CMPK liquid and it hasn't burnt but think you are supposed to mix it with something

7. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Corky - Jeffers Livestock carries MFO. 3.59 for 500 ml. Haven't used so don't know about burning.

Could someone tell us what is in these oral drenches that causes the burning?

I've ordered some injectable CMPK from my vet, just in case - not that I will know what I'm doing if I need to use it.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I know the gel is very caustic

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Ginger, if you need to use the injectable CMPK for a case of milk fever, you inject 30cc subQ. My vet prescribed this dose twice a day and said not to put it all in one place when I do it. The stuff I got was Norcalciphos, which is similar to CMPK. It's worked for me to help a couple of goats get over MF.

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""""I know the gel is very caustic""" S.

You ain't just whistlin dixie with that statement.....I got some of that stuff on my hand one time, and within 5 minutes or so, I thought it was gonna take the hide off.....I will not use it ever again. Can you imagine what it does to the mouth and throat of a goat. :nooo

I keep injectable calcium on hand.....just in case.

Whim