Question On Drawing Blood

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

My friend was talking to the vet and he told her it was too dangerous to draw blood ourselves because it is from the jugular vein. Well I already know where it is drawn from and I looked at the site on Goat Keeping 101 about drawing blood ourselves, looks simple enough. So my question is, how dangerous is it to do it yourself, and can you kill your goat in some way by trying to do it for the first time? And what would happen if you put the needle straight through the vein?

Wendy

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Did the Vet mention the insane fees they charge for this as another reason you should not do it ? :biggrin

I am teaching my 8 year old to draw blood ...I am sure you will be fine.

If you go thru the vein you try again..but try really hard not to. Insert the needle on an angle just like they do on you to pull blood. Go slow dont rush.

Patty

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Patty took the words right out of my mouth.......if I were gonna charge you $70 a pop for CAE test, I guess I would advise you to do your own either.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I always chuckle at this type of response, not your's Wendy :) Like any of us would do something to the detriment of our goats?! Every year my girls get blood drawn, I have never heard of, nor had a goat even have a problem from having blood drawn, let alone die. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just pull not push on the plunger and you won't have a problem :)

6. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

when i called the vet office last year to draw blood for CAE testing, they sent out a new vet who hadn't worked on goats at all. It took him FOREVER poking and prodding to find some blood. Now if that didn't kill any of the goats, you are probably fine ;) I will be doing my own this year!

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

My 13 year old son draws blood....if he can do it, you can too. When we first started it would sometimes take several pokes ( especially on the fat goats :) ), but now either he or I hit it the first try almost every time.

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Shaving the neck also helps find the vein easier for the first time/

Patty