Question for those that take deposits?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rambar Ranch, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

I would like to know how people would handle this situation. I placed a deposit on a doeling back in Spring of last year. At that time the kids from this doe were a certain price. This year they have raised the price by $100 from last year, after the deposit was made. Should I ask for the price at time of deposit or am I stuck with the new price? Thanks, Ray.

2. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Personally, if I took a deposit on a doe's future kid(s), the price would be the price quoted at the time. sometimes folks will put a codicil of "pre-show price" especially in Boer goats when the animal itself in listed for sale. (obviously CH are worth more!)

We had a nice % doe in our sales flyer last year and DD and DH had her at the show (Sat/Sun) when someone contacted me and picked her and another doe in the flyer. (I didn't have any "pre-show price" codicils). She had just won RGCH that day in the ring. I just congratulated them on their good choice and charged them the listed price. They are coming back this Spring for a buck and a doe.

Was any of this in writing?

3. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

No, nothing was in writing, everything was done over the phone and even site unseen. I"d had reservations on 3 animals in the spring of last year but only 1 came through. But I'd switched 1 reservation over to a buckling and put a new reservation for this year at the time I'd paid for the other 2 animals. It wouldn't be so bad but the price of the animal was already fairly high and if they set it at this years price it just makes it worse, lol. Thanks, Ray

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Ray, I would just call this person and discuss it. Just ask them since you had a deposit paid when the price was lower are they going to allow you to purchase the animal at the previous price. If these folks have a conscience they will say yes and if they say no, then they should at least offer to give your deposit back since it was them that changed the price on you. If they are uncooperative in both instances, you can either forfeit the deposit or go ahead and pay more $ for the kid. If this was ME, I would give you a choice, either you could have the kid at the previous price or you can have your deposit back. I'm not a hard case when it comes to working with people and I think those that are... it will come back to bite them eventually.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I had a doeling deposited for a couple of years. In the meantime I knew the dam was winning, finishing her championship and going to Nationals. I told the gal straight up that I would expect the price of my kid to go up, but if it did go up too much I would back out of the sale...it was stricktly a bloodline purchase.

So for myself a $100 increase would have to be another GCH win or perhaps up from 90 to 91 on an appraisal, or a milkstar if you are into things like that :) But to raise a doe 100$ just because when accepting a previous depost to roll over, no. There are times I would rather eat the deposit.

Mine turned out great, I got my doelings even with her mother a much better, older doe! But then Sandy of Rheuls dairy goats is super easy to deal with ! vicki