Question for Saanen and Sable breeders

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rambar Ranch, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

I have 2 doelings that I'm not quite sure if they fall under the category of sable or if they can stay in the saanen book. I know your allowed to have ones that have a cream type color I believe but how dark is to dark of cream? The first photo is of one doeling that has a definitive pattern of the cream and white.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x121/rambarranch/102_1832.jpg

This second doeling kind of has an almost orange tinge that is actually darker than the other doeling but is solid all over in this tinge but it just doesn't want to show up well in the photo. She is about twice as dark as the other doeling so I"m not quite sure which way to go with her.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x121/rambarranch/mango.jpg

Ray

2. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

I did try clipping them when they were younger and the color runs all the way down, lol.

Ray

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

The second one is certainly a Sable. Not all Sables are black. She would be called "peach" to me.

The first one is also probably Sable. If it was Saanen to Saanen breeding and she doesn't meet breed standard due to her coloring (cream or white), then by default, she is a Sable.

IF later on the second goat reverts back to all cream/white, then you may have to re-register her (ugh!) but I would either wait a few more months to register the first goat or just jump in and register her Sable (usually these goats continue to darken as they get older, at least, that has been our experience).

Camille

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

5. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Yeah, I had done the oppisite, lol. The first doe I have already registered as a saanen because she was white at birth and her coloring didn't come in until she was about 3 months. The second I haven't registered yet as I wasn't quite sure. How do I go about re-registering the first doeling since she's already been registered as a saanen? Both breedings were saanen x saanen I just happened to get 5 sables then out of my new buck. I love the color on the peach colored one, we call her Mango because the orange reminded me of a mango, lol.

Ray

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I would wait until you had to change papers...ya never know . Likely they will develop more color but there is a chance they will not.

Patty