Question for mini breeders

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Mimi who is 1/2 ND, 1/2 Nubian turned 7 months old the first week in January. She's a healthy little goat. I was told that to breed mini Nubians, I should cross her with a Nubian buck. With my full size Nubians, I put them with a buck at this age. Her dam was around a year old when she kidded, but since Mimi's kids would be 3/4 Nubian, I'm concerned about the possibility of them being larger when they are born. How old should she be before I breed her?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I never breed before 1 yr old and preferrably 18 mo never a 7 mo old.

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I have a few minimanchas, & had always heard you wanted to breed to a minimancha buck or a Nigerian buck, not to a full sized buck. I don't breed mine until they're a year old or more.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Most MN breeders use a full blood to get correct ears and tis better to do that on the first gen

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I would not breed her until she is at least one year old, and not to full size, those kids can get big.. I would breed her to mini Cross of the same breeds or to a Nigerian.. There is a big big differnce in sizes between Nigerians and Nubians..
    I have a mini Saanan, and she has huge kids and she is 3/4 Nigerian and that is breeding her with a Nigerian.. Her kids weigh up to seven pounds..

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What is really suprising to me when looking at mini Nubian breeders is the very poor quality Nubian does they are starting with...or the ND buck has a horrid udder on his dam.

I have toyed with this whole mini-nubian idea, especially with the quality of ND we have here in Texas, breeding one of them to a really top notch doe to start your bloodline with. (In my old age). Vicki

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I bred Lonesome Doe Princess to my ND and those babies came out pretty darn good me thinks for 1st gen MN. they are bred back to my FB Nubian buck if bred back to ND I would certainly have an ear problem.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Not you Sondra :) Just meant on the websites I found googling Mini-Nubian breeders I was suprised that they didn't choose better does. Vicki

9. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Just jumping in here, I would think it would take breeding back to a standard Nubian too because of needing to improve ears. I assume with MiniManchas the ear is of less probelm because "no-ears" gene is dominant....but when crossing Nubian long ears with upright Nigerian ears, there is a blending of genes creating airplane ears rather than one type ears dominating the other.

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Mimi's dam is the ND. She has a nice udder. The sire was a Nubian buckling out of a doe with a nice udder and a buck out of Saada and Kastdemur bloodlines. Mimi has airplane ears, so in order to get the long ears, I need to breed her Nubian. The plan is to breed her to Rocky (Saada Jenuine Christmas Eve X Heavenly Angels Gabriel). Sounds like the best thing is to wait til next fall to breed her.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes please wait till next fall as at this age they are just too young. I have always gone by what most ND breeders do and that is wait until they are 18mo to 2yrs before breeding. so if one was born in Mar 2007 here she wouldn't get bred until the fall of 2008 and then depending on her size. I have waited until 3 yrs old on one of my does. I also aquired a mm that had been accidently bred at 8mo and it was a big train wreck.

12. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I'd wait until she is at least 1 to 1 1/2 years old to breed her. And yes, as long as you think she is big enough, I would breed her back to a Nubian and not a Nigerian (for sure!), or you could breed her to a good-eared MN buck. I have a few MN does whose sires are Nubians and dams are F1 MN, and their ears AND size is great (plus their milk production is great too!). Last year I bred a Nubian doe back to a MN buck and those kids where really awesome. . . did the same breeding this year (due feb 6th).

Suriyah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.