Question about Temps

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, May 30, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

Can stress cause an increase in temperature? Doe eating and drinking fine. She stressed when we shaved and bathed her. Her temp is 106 and her herdmate who has not stressed at all is 103.6

Just curious.
    Autumn

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Autumn...I think as hot as it is today, and she was probably struggling with you a little....I would think that it would be possible.
    Also ....when I worked at the vet....I found out that dogs were much more sensitive to warm water, rather than cooler water. We would try to bathe most dogs with water that was around room temp. Did you use a warm or hot blow dryer on her ? Same effect will happen.

Whim

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Nope no blow dryer but she absolutely HATES clipping and baths, we did was her with warm water though.

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I think that was what done it. My vet (then boss) freaked when he found me washing a dog with warm water one day.......of course I made the adjustments as he wished. I had no idea at the time about how animals were more sensitive to warm water like that.

Whim

5. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I'm glad you mentioned this Whim. I did not know this either. Interesting.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

106 is awful high for just getting clipped I guess it could happen but I sure would goat out and check it again and see if it is down some that is just too high for me to ignore.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes unless she has sun stroke 106 is to high.

It's of course :) opposite in ruminants. If you soak a goat down with a hose, especially from well water, it will lower the temp of her rumen, killing beneficial rumen flora, why goats at shows are guant looking after the nice cold bath over in the wash shoots :) Vicki

8. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

So do not bath a goat in cool water. Always bath at room temp? ...This is very interesting. I had no idea about the rumen being affected.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"Cooler water" maybe was a poor term for me to use in comparison to warm. If it is warm feeling (the bath water) to my arms , then it needed to be some "cooler"........not cold by no means.
    As a rule of thumb with me-----just like we don't change what we feed fast, we also don't unnaturally change the temp (climate) fast either.
    I think the only exception to this would be if you were dealing with a sick animal who had a high temp or low temp. and you were trying artificially to bring it more in line with normal ......even then, I would want to be careful not to put the animal in shock with a rapid change.

Whim

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

How is the goat?