Question about semen tanks

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

On the side of your semen tank that little "port" It is suppose to have a little cap over it doesn't it? I think mine did, but when I got it back home the other day after having it filled it didn't have one. There was just a bunch of sticky gunk in the port area. What is that port for anyway? I have never seen my tank being filled. The guys have to take it way in the back of the very large facility so I have no idea what they do or how they fill it. I do know when they bring it back to me it is covered in frost on the outside of the tank usually.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

That port is how they get the vaccum into the tank and you NEVER EVER want to mess with it. If you open it you will let the vaccum escape and your tank is ruined. Look at a cut out of tank and it's actually a tank within a tank. Outside tank is the vaccum, inside tank is the nitrogen.
    Kaye

3. Gabe

Gabe New Member

And this means you need a new tank, like right now.

4. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Chris,
    The little cover that goes over the port is easy to lose. Mine has been gone a couple of years. I think you can get them from BioGenics, if you are worried about it.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I noticed that Geoff and Nancy's tanks had the cover gone off of that port too, but I just don't like the goopy sticky stuff. Idiots wonder why they messed with it.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Have no idea...but I would call and report it to the manager and make sure it doesn't happen again. He needs to understand that by them tampering with the port that they could've ruined an expensive tank.
    Keep a very close watch on your tank for the next couple of weeks...just in case they managed to unscrew it.
    Kaye