Question about recently wethered goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We have some bucklings that were banded last week. One of the little guys has blood in his urine. He doesnt seem to be in excessive pain at this point.

Is this a normal side effect of wethering?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I wouldn't think so LeeAnne would be looking at UC or something else any temp?

3. Qvrfullmidwife

Peeing like there is no tomorrow, definitely no blockage so we had ruled out UC.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you get some plumbing tucked up under the band it can cause problem like this...peeing blood, swelling of the area around and down the leg...fever/septiciemia and death. If these are butcher boys I would butcher him now before he exhibits any more problems from the castration. When you put the bands on make sure it is put on right above, really on the testees themselves, then roll the band ahead of them. Don't put it on way above the testicles you can grab plumbing when you do. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH learn something new everyday. I haven't wethered a kid in over 8yrs so what do I know. I butcher before I have to worry abt it.

6. Qvrfullmidwife

But I wonder (you know me, have to think everything to death) if part of the plumbing got caught would he still be able to pee like there is no end in sight?

Sondra that is our plan for future years but this year we have a buyer for every wether we could get to her...our first ever "goat friend" (we met when we both lived in the city and I rather pitied her for her odd caprine obsession) recently moved back out of the city and wants to fill her overgrown acreage with wethers to keep her ag exemption...

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

But he is peeing blood :) there is alot of plumbing in there besides just the urethra :)

I also had one of those this year, wanting wethers, any wethers....so in one fell swoop he got 4 tonight! My mini's from Sondra....Amy had 1 last night and Inca had 3 this morning. Cool is that they all have beautiful ears, and two are grey/black and brown one is an oberhasli and one a boer who if was a doeling I would have kept...really cool, super tiny with elf ears and a red head and white body with one red spot on his side! I really would like to have a single teated boer doe here just to have, and this would have been perfect! Vicki