Question about new momma behavior

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MsMelissa, Apr 16, 2008.

1. MsMelissa

MsMelissa Guest

Ok, is this normal week old goat momma behavior? I let Margi and buckling out of barn today. She is not letting him nurse and moves away whenever he comes near her. He is crying a good bit. She even butted him when she was eating this morning. Is this normal hormonal changes? I feel so sorry for him, he's standing off to himself crying...I hope this is just "whew I'm glad to get out of that little stall and out in the sunshine" behavior and not some problem.

Melissa

2. Melissa, not an expert here because we never have any kids nurse. However I can think of several things. First check your does' udder. She may be full of milk, making it painful when the baby tries to nurse. You may need to milk her out partway.
    Second, she may just be nervous with a new kid, but he still needs to eat. Hold her still so he can nurse every few hours until you see him nursing well on his own.
    Becky

3. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

It may also be that she's just training him to nurse when *she* wants him to. Obviously he's nursing, since he's made it a week :). Sugar sometimes would let our babies nurse, other times she wouldn't. Barring any problems like Becky mentioned, I bet if you watch long enough she'll let him. She may just be enjoying the sunshine a bit.

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I don't think that this would be good behavior on her part at all. Rejection after nursing this kid a full week would be unusual. I'm sure she is still some sore from surgery, and no doubt those FF teats are tender......but for her to completely not let him nurse, and even push him away, would not be a good sign that all is well. I'm assuming that this isn't being playful butting. That baby has to be fed or he will die.
    Becky is right on her tips to you......check her udder like stated, and then tie her to a wall if you have to where that kid can be fed.
    I would also check her temp.....if off some, like in low...... come back and post to where these Gal's can help you figure this one out.

Whim

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

My FF has an 8 day old buckling. She lets him nurse just fine. I am very new at this so can't say for sure, but my guts says that she should not be butting him. Maybe tender udder, maybe be just nervous being outside. ??? Watch VERY carefully or do as some of the others suggest and check udder and tie her or put her on the milk stand and let the little one feed. He's probably yelling a lot because he is hungry.

6. MsMelissa

MsMelissa Guest

I held her and let little guy nurse..she was not happy with me. Her temp is 104.5. She's eating her alfalfa pellets and hay well and also saw her eating some loose minerals this am. Didn't seem very interested in Purina goat chow this am though. Her udder/teats look fine, no redness, or hardness/tightness. Only drainage from vulva has now turned whitish color (not blood colored anymore). Incision line looks fine , no redness, swelling or drainage.

What do you guys think?

I'm heading to post office to pick up additional antibiotics that just came in from vet(Baytril). I also have one dose of Banamine left.

Thanks,

Melissa :help

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I think her meds are wearing off, and possible infection is trying to set back in. I think these gals are gonna say hit her with that dose of banamine, and get her back on some antibiotics for a little longer..... Antibiotics can be so short term effective in goats. I'm hoping that Kaye or Vicki can help you figure this out......I've not had to go this road this way before.....so I'm over my head here.

Whim

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep 104 is very high temp and she needs some banamine to get that fever down and I wouold start her back up on the meds as it sounds like a infection is comming with her running a fever.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Banamine not only will keep her comfortable, but it will keep the fever down, and stop scar tissue formation around the incision in the uterus...scar tissue attracts placentas and you can have a doe who aborts kids each year or never kids again. It also helps with inflammation. I would buy a bottle of banamine from the vet, and also get her back on her antibiotics until her temp is down without banamine for at least 24 hours.

It's painful to nurse, her uterus contracts each time the kid butts the udder. It's now wonder with this pain that she won't let him nurse, she thinks he is causing the pain. I would take him to her to nurse 3 or 4 times a day and let her be. Vicki

10. MsMelissa

MsMelissa Guest

I gave the last dose of Banamine that I had and also a shot(3cc) of Baytril. Held her while little buck nursed. She keeps butting him and i've been keeping them pinned up together at night. Should I keep him seperate from her tonight? Have a call in to vet about more Banamine.

Melissa

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes in her condition just take him to her 3 or 4 times a day and let her rest. Get the banamin and keep her comfortable like Vicki has said. Personally with me the kid would be bottle fed instead of butting her

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sondra....can't she just get some whole cow's milk from the store, and help feed this baby for a few days...only letting him nurse a couple times a day to keep her in milk. I'm concered that the baby isn't getting enough, and also that the doe having to make all the milk for this kid right now, maybe taking away some of her strength.

Teach us a lesson on kid/doe care here in this type situation....I'm willing to learn how to also.

Whim

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I am feeding my 3 kids a milk mix. 1/2 Formula, 1/2 whole cow milk from store, plus about an inch or two of water in the bottle. I feed them out of 2 liter pop bottles, filled half way with the milk/formula and then added water in addition. They seem to be doing good so far with that. No scours at all.

-Kim

14. I would put the baby on a bottle and hand milk the doe 2 or 3 times daily. If the doe does not give enough milk I'd supplement with whole cow milk.
    Becky

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Kim,

Why are you adding water? That's not a good idea in my opinion.

Sara

16. MsMelissa

MsMelissa Guest

Ok looks like concensus is that I need to bottle feed. I've seen cow's milk, Margi's milk, half and half (on a different thread), and formula mentioned. My gut instinct is to try to use Margi's milk as much as possible because, although painful to her, it would probably be beneficial for keeping that sutured uterus contracted?
    So here are my "new to all this" questions:

1.How much to feed each time and how often?

2. What to feed?

3. What equipment do I need? I saw that someone uses 2 liter bottles. I have nothing so if it could be bought at local feedstore or WalMart that would be great.

4. How long will I need to bottle feed him?

Thanks for all your guys help,

Melissa

17. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I would start hime at 8-10 oz per feeding, 4 times a day. I'm used to bigger goats so roughly that is 1/2 what I use on my Alpines. Bottle feeding....well, until he's no longer hungry for a bottle. If mom takes him back in a week or so, then you will be good to go. If she permanently rejects him then you will be bottle feeding for at least 8 weeks. Equipment wise, a 20 oz pop/water bottle and a Pritchard nipple (TSC) is what I use but I know a lot of folks use the lambar nipples you can order from Jeffers or Hoegger's. I would try to use the doe's milk, if you can't then use whole cow's milk from the store. I would not use formula/replacer of any kind. You only have one kid and hopefully it's short-term so shouldn't add up too expensive.

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Shykid, Kim...I know you are new. Using milk replacer is fine when mixed in older kids bottles or lambars with goats milk or whole milk. Get that percentage of it too high in the bottle, or add more water than is on the directions and you will not have kids who grow. Alot of us on here, mostly your mods and admins have been doing forums for years...common thread in kids deaths or failure to thrive, or kids who are stunted and small is milk replacer...cocci and worms. Replacer kills more kids each year than any disease. Once a kid is cudding, and that really is the idea behind replacers, get them eating fast....than using replacers higher in the percentage of whole milk is fine. Most are really low in fat, are only whey, no real milk, and if you read the directions you are nearly starving the kid so they do start eating solids quicker. Vicki

19. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Vicki -Yicks! I had no idea. It does have whey in it. Thank you so much for telling me!

20. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest