Question About LGD Behaviour

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Brit.Tex, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Brit.Tex

Brit.Tex Guest

Monday we noticed our LGD (she's nearly two, spayed Great Pyr/Anatolian cross) out in the pasture with our goats (that's the usual part) but she was driving the goats away from something out under a tree.

She would bark and snarl and dash at them, then turn back to whatever it was. We were surely puzzled. Then we noticed one of the doelings (the one in my other post that has surprised us) that wouldn't STAY away. The rest of the goats lost interest, but she kept trying to get close and looking very alert.

We knew that something was sure going on.. it wasn't usual behaviour for either one of them.

My question is - is that NORMAL behaviour for an LGD? Gale hadn't harmed the little thing, had cleaned it up but wouldn't let the mother near it. This isn't exactly helpful in the large scheme of things...

I will say that although she's been around the baby goats when they are big enough to let loose in the pasture (usually a couple of weeks or so) she's fine with them and never acted that way. This was the first birth she had actually "attended" as the goats usually deliver in "private" stalls in the barn.

Maybe it was inexperience with the birthing process? I have heard these dogs LOVE the babies and will "mother" them, but of course she can't actually do much of a job there in some ways. (Gale has never had pups, and we have had her spayed)

Any thoughts, or comments?

Thanks!
    Deb

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I think this is why LGD's are generally kept away from sheep and goats out on pasture when they are still Young dogs. She should be Much better at this in a year, but for now be better if you kid in a Materity pen.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes I have heard of this before also and the dog takes over as mother not letting anyone near the kid.

4. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

We've had LGD's do this also. They cleaned the kid, and kept the goats away.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

My LGD's have never done this. I'd say she needs kept away from birthing does....at least for now.

6. Brit.Tex

Brit.Tex Guest

Thanks for the responses! Since this was not a normal event in our world I was sure curious about the way the dog was acting. Generally, we know when our girls are due and have them confined away from the dog. It was certainly interesting - but I'm very glad they weren't down the back of the hill and out of sight!

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Well my LGD was excellent this year and she isnt even 1 yet will be the end of March...She is very protective of the babies and babysits for the mommas...I am very proud of the way she took to the babies and even cleans the hinneys...So far so good and the mommas just love her . I love my Beauty, she is such a good girl.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Heh-heh......I walked into the barn last night to see my 6 month old male Pyr having a great snack off of the sticky butts of the triplet bucklings born that morning. Yum-Yum! :lol

9. LMonty

LMonty New Member

what do you guys do with LGDs that want to play a bit too enthusiasticaly with babies? They certainly dont seem to be doing anything agresssive, just trying to play. I finally seperated them for fear that there would be real problems. One little buckling ended up scratched as one pyr kept trying to pick him up and bring him over to the other goats. He was being gently, it wasnt like he was tying to hurt him, but obviously these guys are little and to quite up to it. Defintiely corrected the dogs but now I'm getting nervous about when its safe to put the moms and babies back in the larger pen with the dogs.

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

How old are these dogs?? This behavior is common in immature LGDs, which is why it is reccomended not to leave them with young kids and kidding does.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

put them in with your grow bucks or old does
    not with babies.

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Young dogs are too playful, old ones that have been dominated by old queen goats are good. You just have to let time pass. be patient with them. I have 3 and they dig in and out of goat yards at will. One female is particular fond of the new babies and stays in that pen with a big doggy smile on her face. I have no fear that she will hurt them. She stays in that pen at night too. I trust her 100%. She attended the birth and loves them and the mother goats.

13. LMonty

LMonty New Member

yep, they are probably a year old for one and a little less for the other. I have the does away from them now.

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I don't just separate, I yell! in a very loud aggressive voice "NO!!" I have at times with young dogs, offered my hand, when they are feeling feisty and if they put it in their mouth, I say "NO" and whey they stop I tell 'em "good dog" in a softer, more friendly voice. If they do it again, they are told "no" and are locked away from the goats.. they learn real quick, these dogs, and they hate being locked away. And they learn what "NO" means. I trust my dogs whole heartedly with my goats, because I know, that they know.

15. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I just found out this morning my Great Pyr is earning her keep. My German Shepherd squeezed through the gate into the goats and started chasing them. Quick as lightning the Great Pyr had the shepherd pinned to the ground, snarling. She spent the first 6 months of her life as the shepherds playmate before we had goats so I was very impressed by her decisive action. BTW, the shepherd has recently been real sick and lost a bunch of weight, and the gate was not latched correctly, and that is how she shimmied in. Put on a different latch and tightened things up a bit. My 12 year old thinks maybe the shepherd wasn't eating on purpose so she could fit through the gate. I wouldn't put it past her...

Tiffany

16. CGFarm

CGFarm Guest

We have our Oldest LGD "Manja" she's 1/2 GP 1/2 Anatolian. She also went through the OMG, someone is going to harm the baby thing and also wouldn't let the mothers near the kids.
    We found the trigger was the kids yelling or bleating for mom. She was fine as long as the kids were quiet, but once the bleating began she was SURE Mom's were hurting the babies.
    Manja is now 6 yrs old and about age 3 she stopped doing this with the babies. We normally take all our kids, so she just figured they didn't "belong" to the momma goats.
    She is one of my VERY BEST LGD's. She is my "kid" dog. She has trained several of our younger dogs and is a no nonsense LGD. She alerts me to when a doe is going to kid, won't leave the doe's side, sounds off more regularly and "IF" we happen to have a kid born in the field she stays with them.
    I think when she mature's a little more you'll be very happy with her.
    Denise