question about injectable meds

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, Dec 29, 2007.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

I worked 2 days this week as a relief vet tech at the local animal hospital- not my fulltime job, but they see large animals there as well. In return, I now have many of my needed goat meds in hand, and the promise to obtain anything I may need in the future (yay!) Not to mention a 25% employee discount :D

I now have a bottle of banamine, BoSe, and some injectable calcium.

The calcium is Norcalciphos- is that okay to use? Is it best to give it SQ, or IV? I know it has to be given very slowly if given IV and the heartrate must be monitored.

Also, my goats are due about January 16th. Should I give the does an injection of BoSe now, or is it too late?

Donna

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes you can give Bo-se 1cc per 40 pounds now, and then again right before kidding...and to kids at birth. I give mine IM because I have had some trouble with injection sites.

Banamine 1cc per 100 pounds, for pain, for diarrhea, to take the edge off. The most underused drug out there.

I use calcium gluconate, but yours is just another brand....it's not for a layman to give this product IV. Use subq, give it in alot of places, not just in one, make sure it is warm and not coldDosage in cattle is 500 mL. For milk fever prophylaxis, give 200–500 mL at time of calving. Repeat in 2 to 6 hours if needed. Rub it in quite well after you give the shots...and repeat, one shot isn't going to do it. Nice to have on hand for sluggish labor in older does, for hypocalcemia before kidding and milk fever after kidding. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Now also get you some lute, oxytocin, gentamycin, nuflor to have on hand if you need it oh and dex. maybe something else I have forgot. :lol

4. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

The vet said he'd get me some Nuflor....I have epinephrine, and I forgot to get the oxytocin but can get that at the emergency clinic.

I have treated many, many cases of eclampsia in dogs, so I would be comfortable giving the calcium IV, but if it works just as well SQ then I will just do that... hopefully I won't have to. The girls have been on browse, minerals, a little hay and alfalfa pellets. I am already seeing a mucus plug on one of my does, her bag has been growing for the past 2 weeks.....
    I'm working double-shifts New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, but then I am cutting back my hours for the remainder of January and February so I can be sure to be on hand for kidding!

Donna

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Norcalciphos is what my vet prescribed when my doe got milk fever. Even he gave it subQ in his office. I continued with it at home and keep a bottle on hand. I gave 30cc twice a day in several sites.