Quads

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Doc, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc New Member

Not unexpected, the doe is known to produce litters.

The first two came easy, smallish, about 5 1/2 lbs each. As I was drying them, the doe lay down to start pushing, and my daughter said 'uh oh, four feet'. Not the words you want to hear.

Didn't panic, went in, and nightmarish tangle - kids chest to chest with their heads pulled back, and the doe straining. It was 2 AM and I was pretty wiped - remember wishing I could get both hands in there. Slid one back slightly, and in doing so, his head came forward, pushed him back a little more, then somehow slid the other one back just a bit, don't know how, but got his head forward. They both came in a big rush after that, but we lost the smaller of the two - not sure which order he came - I believe it was the last kid though.

4 boys. The three survivors were up within about 90 minutes, and this morning are bouncy and vocal.

Mama and babies doing pretty well today, mom looks as tired as I feel.

http://docsdomain.net/blog/?p=641 <- pictures

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations! man I am getting a little worried now listening to all you with tangled kids.

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Yikes. Not sure I could have stayed calm with four feet.
    And all boys? Poo!
    But I'm glad your doe is doing well. ...and the kids that made it are adorable.

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh my....I laughed out loud when I saw your jabba the goat pic! How funny!

Sorry to hear you lost one but sounds like you handled things pretty well. I don't know what I will do if/when I ever have to do this stuff without dd here. I tend to panic at the slightest problem.

Kalne

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Good Deal! Sorry about the little one though.. and that Jabba the goat.. how funny was that! :rofl

6. CGFarm

CGFarm New Member

OH! My! I love her sit. LOL Congrats on the 3 boys!!!!!!!!!!!

7. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

She is a nice doe glad that she is doing well Congrats on the 3 bucks and sorry you lost the one

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Jabba the Goat! :rofl I love it. The boys are looking very adorable and healthy. Way to go!

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I wanted to add this to your blog comments:

If you would feed more long stem forage and not just alfalfa pellets, the moms would not eat their ears off at birth! Just a response after reading what you wrote on Lamancha talk :) Vicki

10. Doc

Doc New Member

*Snort*

I simply have to ask if the people who believe that goats "have" to have hay have ever been to Africa, the middle east, or even the mountainous regions of the Alps. I wonder if they've seen the places WILD goats live. I wonder what they believe those goats eat....or what they really think goats are designed to eat. It's a wonder my herd hasn't dropped dead - instead of dropping quads.

(the baby monitor is on - all I can hear is the sound of happy goats munching their PELLETS)

11. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Congrats on getting those kids untangled - that pic is the funniest I've seen in a while - my son and I are just rolling laughing - we just 'thought' we had a fat black LM!!

12. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Great pic, doc! Good job. Sorry for your loss, glad for the healthy ones.

13. Truly

Truly New Member

OK, I've been talking about Abby swallowing an intertube, but Tippy has her beat. I'm glad that things turned out well for the most part.

14. farm mom

farm mom New Member

Great picture, the whole family got a good laugh at her pose! What a nice looking doe. Congrats on the three boys.

15. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Sorry for your loss, Congrats on the three that made it.

16. Doc

Doc New Member

Lost the doe in the wee hours of the morning, despite heroic effort on the part of my sainted Vet. Please don't suggest maybes or what-ifs - sometimes they crash no matter how good your nutrition and husbandry are. She was 7, and quads were just plain hard on her.

17. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Sorry you lost her :down

18. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Oh No!! I'm so sorry you lost her :down I didn't realize how hard it was on her. Your right, sometimes no matter what you do.. :(

19. susie

susie New Member

Oh I'm so sorry, Doc.

Susie

20. Truly

Truly New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Total bummer. :sniffle