Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from a local farmer. She is raising her first bottle baby. A pygmy who is 29 days old.
She's been having a rough time with the kid. Tried a couple different replacers (the most recent one suggested by a local vet). The kid is scouring again.
She got my name from the local mill as a potential source for goat's milk. The one time the kid actually had pellets was when it had goat's milk from the vet's freezer.
I told her to try store bought Vit. D milk for the kid.
My question is, how much should a Pygmy kid be drinking every four hours?
She was feeding it 4 ounces initially, the vet had her drop it to 2 ounces and my inclination is to bring it back up to four ounces, because 12 ounces a day seems like soo little.
My three week old doeling who was 2.8 pounds at birth is drinking 30 ounces a day right now and growing like a weed.

I also encouraged her to join and hope she does.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
with ND I either feed 2 oz every 2 hrs or 4 or as much as it will take up to 16 oz 4 times a day. IT is the replacer that is causing the problems also can't remember but by this time should be on cocci prevention. I think

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The kid only had goat's milk once. The vet had some frozen and the kid received that. It has been on replacer the rest of the time.
I didn't mention cocci prevention. It didn't dawn on me at the time.
Thanks for amounts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts