PVC mineral feeder suitable for feeding babies?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by blackthorn, Dec 4, 2008.

1. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Hi :biggrin
    I was curious if the homemade PVC mineral feeders would be suitable to free choice creep feed in the babies pens?? Would 3 PVC feeders to 10 babies be enough? I'd fill then fresh each day, just stops them pooping, peeing and sleeping in their feed ;) Might also help with bullying at the feed trough.......can't be 3 places at once!
    Vanessa

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would think so but probably more like 5 per 10 kids or use a 6 or 8 in pvc cut in half and seal the ends with caps then hang from a fence so they can't climb in them in other words make a trough.

3. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I've found that troughs don't work for me, they still poop and pee in them (nothing worse than putting in fresh feed for the day and one of them pooping in it almost straight away!) and they also stick their feet in them as well. Also I don't have the equipment to cut the pipe in two but I'm pretty sure I can make the mineral type feeder.
    Vanessa

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I understand and yes think they will work

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Yes, but there will be a fight to get to the feed as only 1 goat can eat at a time. My goats can hit the pvc mineral feeders with poop ball's ;) , I have the goat feeders troughs that hang on the outside of 2X6 boards in the barn and now they have to stick their heads thru to eat , no more poop or P . I also have and use the 6" green PVC cut into with a Roto Zip , both ends are open and easy to clean, they are dog collar snapped to outside fence, one end is slightly higher , occasionally I have a poop ball in it but not often and when it rains,it's nice and clean.

6. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I think I'll try them and see how they go :) Because they'll be full of feed all the time I doubt they'll fight over them-sort of like free choice milk feeders.
    Vanessa

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Vanessa... can your babies get thier head through your fence? If it's cattle panels.. I use a feeder 'outside' the fence.. and place it where they stick thier head through to eat.
    Oh my baby pen.. it's 4x4 inch square.. so they can't.. but the gate is a larger wire. I put the feeder on the inside of the gate till they find it.. then move it to the outside to keep nasty feet and poopies out.
    All my yearling and adult goats eat through cattle panels with Sydel feeders. Sure does stop the fighting of bullies.. and I don't have to be taken aground when I feed up.
    Just a suggestion... might not work for your set up.

8. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I bought 4 Sydell feeders this year and I am AMAZED at how much hay I am saving. And by how many goats will eat in such a small space. They are really nice. I may have to add a few more next year. Spendy, but worth it, IMO.

Tracy

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member