Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen PVC milkstands & would like to build one, but they appear to mostly be used by people who have Nigerian Dwarfs. Has anybody built one for standard size does? If so, where can I find instructions, or dimensions, or at least good pictures? Are they sturdy enough for full sized goats? If you have one, what do you like & dislike about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have seen PVC milkstands & would like to build one, but they appear to mostly be used by people who have Nigerian Dwarfs. Has anybody built one for standard size does? If so, where can I find instructions, or dimensions, or at least good pictures? Are they sturdy enough for full sized goats? If you have one, what do you like & dislike about it.
What is it you like about the PVC build? That it is easier to build and work with pvc? Cheaper? Cuz I'm not sure that it would be sturdy enough for a full size goat. If you use large diameter PVC it might be. Wood is not that hard to work with and there's really not that many cuts you would have to make. Perhaps you could make the headlock out of PVC and the base out of wood. You could probably get enough wood from a pallet to make a milking stand.

I made a milking stand from an aluminum work stand. If you have a work stand it would be quick and easy. If you don't have one, it would be expensive.
Plant Grass Goat Font Grass family

At the time I was only milking a Nigerian dwarf and it was big for her. (That is not her in the photo, that is her doeling.) I think it would work for a full size goat if it was calm. The milking stand removes easily from the base so you can use it as a work support. If anyone is interested I'll write up the instructions and pictures.

- Liz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You would have to use the bigger PV C pipe which could get pricey. Better still is to look for pallets and build from that. Cheap and easy.
Hi. Thanks for responding. I already have several wooden goat milk stands that I have built including one for 6 goats at a time, but I am interested in building a light weight stand out of PVC pipe for a single goat to take to shows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts