Purchase a herd??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ksitton, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ksitton

ksitton New Member

Here is my delima...

Would it be wise to purchase a "starter herd" ready to go at a deep discounted price, although they are not CAE or CL tested?? And just do that my self after, and if animals test positive to cycle them out of the herd over the course of time, working up to a CAE and CL free herd??

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Never. Regardless of the price.

Always start with tested CAE and CL negative goats.

You cannot just 'cycle' positive animals out of the herd. CL can reinfect your herd for years to come.

Not a wise decision in the least.

Sara

3. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

:yeahthat

Can you test before you buy? or it that out of the question?

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:yeahthat

.....and keep in mind that it cost just as much to feed that $25 goat, as it does a $500 one. ....and now days, feed is where you really get lots of money sunk into one fast.

You can spend 200 -$300 a year feeding a $25 goat, and it still be worth $25 five years later when you decide to sell it.

WHIM

5. If you cant test for CAE and CL before purchasing, pass on them. It wont be worth the risk.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thing to remember is that once you get CL on your property no matter how hard you work or try to clean it out, it can stay there 10 yrs and reinfect your clean goats. Never buy without testing first.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The problem is you just don't dairy goats. You sell kids, milkers who don't work out in a large herd setting into pet homes etc...and you can't ethically do this once you know you have diseased stock.

It does mean a seperate facility with the least amount of access to your property that you can give them. This way if you do have CL it is not passed to other stock on your place, it's infectious to all warm blooded mammals. CAE is much easier to deal with....no colostrum and milk fed raw period. If you knew more about CL you would understand how horrified we are. Vicki

8. ksitton

ksitton New Member

So I am going to pass on this "opportunity". I just don't feel comfortable spending money on animals that may or may not have CAE or CL. I get the feeling that it wouldn't be possible to test before I buy, and even if I could, don't think it's worth the $$ if they do come up postitive.

I really appreciate all of your help and info. :D I don't want to jump into something over my head, and have it turn out bad in the long run.
    I know my questions have been very elementary, but they have helped my thought process and decision making.

When I am ready to purchase healthy tested animals... how do I go about things, because I have four goats of my own that are not tested(have just been pets basically). I can have them tested, but what if they test postitive for CAE or CL?? Would just keeping them seperate be acceptable?? (I am doubting that) There have been sheep run on this property as well, and I don't know if they do anything with CL for their herd. I have been reading about CL, and I am horrified ~mostly that NO ONE I have ever communicated with about goats,ect. has mentioned it~ and I have worked at feed stores and vet clinics! :O

Thanks again

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sheep are major carriers of this because of the sheep shearing aspect. Those shears if no cleaned from shearer to shearer, even the tires of their trucks etc...yep sheep are major problems with CL.

Just test your goats you have...have you ever seen abscess on the throat/neck/brisket/under the arms/flank, udder before on your goats? They get big very fast and burst...thicky cheesey material, then heal up leaving scars? If you haven't seen CL it's rather doubtful your goats have it. The problem with complete sellouts is that folks are highly motivated to sell, and with no recourse to get your money back or for them to take the goats back it is a huge leap of faith. But most places in goats for more than 5 minutes have pasts which could be as easy as calling the local diary goat club and ask a few of the members if they know of them. If you do this make sure you aren't taking personalities into account...because you aren't buying her you are purchasing her stock.

I have brokered out goats in the most horrid of conditions for them all to tested negative for export. If you just went over, 3cc syringe in hand to take blood even from 2 of the eldest goats, paying $6 for CAE and a little more for CL at two different labs, you could for around $30 find out a pretty good idea of what she has and doesn't have.

Do know alot of her CMT testing info and the speil you sent me on her is marketing.....CMT taken daily tells you nothing more than CMT taking weekly or monthly or not at all :)

I don't want you to pass this up if it is a good deal because we are the most skeptical group of folks you could have found :) Vicki

10. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Kelly there are plenty of really good breeders around you who either test their goats or wouldn't mind you testing before purchase. Do a google on Oregon dairy goats and you should find quite a few. This thread can help you with any questions you may want to ask breeders before purchasing an animal.

https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,6383.0.html

definately touchs in alot of areas in goats and purchases. Tammy

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

I second what Tammy says....Lots of excellent breeders in Oregon. And with shows and travel and stuff, you can really get goats from Oregon, WA, Idaho, and even Northern California without too much trouble. Seems like someone is always coming or going or at least knows someone who is. :)

12. shawhee

shawhee Member

Kelly,
    I am new as well and I made the mistake of jumping too fast and not knowing what I was doing. I have had livestock, and have 10 horses, a pet goat, and dogs (I was raised on a cattle dairy; then a beef ranch growing up). But did not know much about goats. I purchased 4 does to start with; and tested after I had them here. Thank goodness I had no CL - but I did have CAE + goats. I have had to make some hard decisions, but they were for the best. I have a pretty nice buck, and a couple of does (all registered and clean). And I just purchased two more from Idaho (Thanks Ken!), so I am slowly building my stock and studying bloodlines etc.
    I would recommend the advise of the members here, I have been helped tremendously by several people. Vicki has been awesome and is always willing to help, Sondra has graciously taken my phone calls and questions, Tracy was a saint and even helped me with recommending transport for my Idaho purchase (I am in Texas!). Janie and many others have jumped in to help too. If you have someone on the board that lives close to you ask them to help recommend breeders. I would say start slow and build; unless you just run across an awesome deal.
    What breed are you interested in?
    Just my two cents, and sorry for the ramble.

Shawna

13. ksitton

ksitton New Member

Well, after much thought, I am not purchasing that herd, :nooo too many doubts and concerns about different aspects of it.

As you asked, "what breed do I want to raise?" , that herd was Nubian or Nubian crosses, and I always said that if I was going to get back into the goat world, I would choose the Nigerian Dwarf. I think that I will be trying to visit other local breeders to watch and learn all I can about milking before buying any animals, so that I can have a barn all set up and ready to go specifically for them and the milking.

I am planning on having my current old goats tested, although talking with my friend who is finishing vet school, it is unlikely that they have CAE or CL, being 5, 6, 11, and 12 years old, and never showing any signs of it. When I start a new herd, I want to be sure.

I have pretty much been on the internet for a week straight researching everything I can think of that has to do with all this. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here! :D

14. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Don't be too sure that your goats are CAE negative. They can live with it for many years without symptoms. However CL likely would have popped up by now.

I would NOT buy positive goats ever again. I started with CAE postive goats and it's not that easy to cycle out...I would have saved myself a lot of stress starting with negative animals. It's doable but a ton of extra work and it's harder to sell your stock.

Also don't believe people about their herd status unless you see current test results on paper or test yourself. I have made the unwise decision to trust someone's word and got burned 50% of the time....talking 10 different people that I bought from. I have come to the conclusion that I can't trust ANYONE no matter who they say they know and how they always pasteurize milk and blah blah blah.

15. FRW

FRW New Member

You made a wise decision!!
    Do test your current goats that you own before you bring any new goats on your premises.
    It is so much easier to start with a disease free animal.
    You also want to be able to honestly advertise your herd as CAE/CL neg.
    Even when a new animal is brought into the herd they need to be tested more than one time before they join the herd.
    Any animals under 6 mths of age should be tested again after 6mths of age.You will not get a accurate test before 6 mths of age.
    I would advise to quarantine them until you are able to test twice 6 mths apart before they become in contact with your current animals. The reason you would want to test more than once is as a follow up in case there is a false neg or an animal that maybe became contaminated that has not had time to show a positive test.
    It can take time for them to show positive on the test .
    So if you want to make sure you are protecting your herd to the best of your ability you still want to test animals that you buy more than one time before you allow them to join the rest of the herd.
    Any new animals that are brought in should be in quarantine for the this time period until you are satisfied with the test results.
    I hope you have a good herd plan in mind now.
    Set your standards and make sure you buy animals with a written agreement for CAE/CL free animals .Also that you have the right to retest the animals for CAE/CL with in 30 days of the time period after they are bought.
    If they won't allow this there is another animals out there for you.

It is allot to consider when you add a new animal to your herd.