Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Wallaby, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby New Member

Anyone have advice on growing pumpkins? I have a few small plants in the ground now. Basically, what now?

2. nisthabhakti

nisthabhakti nisthabhakti

I helped a friend grow melons and other gourds in her garden. We had the best luck when making little hammocks for them to keep them off the ground. We used old panty hose! they expand as the fruit grows with time, elevates it to keep from mold and rot, and gave some extra protection from critters. Good Luck!!!

3. lovinglife

lovinglife New Member

give them water.....I usually mulch mine and keep moist, but I live in the desert, might be different in a humid area.

4. Kepi

Kepi New Member

I grow pumpkin, melon, courgettes and the main thing for me is that you water them regularly, and that's about it as far as I am concerned, I don't mulch, fertilise or whatever once they get established.

I know that the RHS in the UK did a test on not watering pumpkin and they still grew well, their roots simply drive deeper to find it.

5. Dairyman

Dairyman Junior Member

I tried to grow pumpkins. I planted about four seeds near each other and they grew long vines, which flowered. After they flowered, the vines got brown and they all died. Any idea what I did wrong? Note that I watered them almost daily and they were in the sun the majority of the day.