Pulling blood for testing ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Dec 3, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Just want to check something out. My Vet is coming to my farm next week to Ultrasound my girls, and I asked her to bring me some blood pulling supplies. She asked why and I told her I am going to be pulling my own blood from now on and sending it in for testing. She replied...well you can't set it up right yourself to pull for CAE and CL, she then said she needed to "spin it" for me. I told her that I do not think so and she said if that is correct then her pulling it and me sending it in plain would be only a few dollars a doe. My question....am I right, I can send it to WSU or PAVL or bio just straight pulled into a red top???

Thanks,

Paula

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You are correct. There are tests that you may need certain vacutainer tubes that contain things to mix with the blood, or that the blood has to be spinned etc...but not CAE, CL Johnnes etc or pregnancy. Vicki

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Good news as she is really the only vet anywhere near her willing to do and learn about goats...she has been quoting some high prices for testing and after chatting today she seemed shocked at what I an get it done for. She was charging a premium for taking back to her lab and spinning and coagulating it.

Thanks,

Paula

4. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Perhpas she did not want to lose the $$$$$ :biggrin

I would also buy the blood pulling supplies online if she is going to chrage a ton. I buy 100 at a time and the price is very low.

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Michelle and Troy, Usually she is really reasonable as she trys to take care of the farmer/homesteader....but, where do you get your supplies from? Thanks.

Billie, Yes it is Amy.

P

6. Terry

Terry Member

You can get the red top tubes at www.pbsanimalhealth.com and I order my needles and syringes from jeffers.
    Terry

7. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Thanks, Paula. I will have to talk to her about it, too, since I've yet to be able to fork over the money she quoted for all the testing I want. Perhaps with this news, we'll be able to do ours sooner rather than later (since I'm no where near ready to do my own blood pulls!) So just the few dollars a doe for blood pull from her, and then you'd pay the lab their fees?

8. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

PBS also has syringes.

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Bille, that is what I am going to do....have her pull it and I will mail it in myself...she had no problem with that.

10. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

When I called my vet office about CAE testing last year they said it would be $71 per goat. :faint I was floored!

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I had planned to pull blood Sunday and send off to Biotracking, and Counting the last little bugger bred she'ld be at 23 days! argh I think I'm just going to pull it anyhow as this is one of those rare weekends someone else is watching my booth. I'm participating in a benefit craft sale for my church. I won't be as drop dead tired come sunday, since I won't have drove for 3 hours and stood on my feet for 8 on concrete. I have 4 little ff's to test.. All the big girls better be bred. : ) the little girls who are open are staying that way till July. I have got to go back to year round milking. We are Out of milk. No one freshens till Jan. Than I still have all the big ole does to send in CAE on also.

12. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

One of my girls was a few day shy of the time limit too. I opted not to test her right now, but pull it in another couple weeks and send it in on her.

Paula how many red top tubes do you need?

13. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I was thinking about 25 or so.

Thanks

14. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Yeh, your best bet would be to get a 100 from PBS or even eBay.

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I just bought some from airtite 17.01 for 100 3 cc, plus got 100 18 gauge 3ml 11.35 shipping $ 10, fast
    www.air-tite-shop.com

16. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Truth is I normally google things like this and start looking for a good price. Google is my best friend. :biggrin

My wife thinks I have a nasty addiction to Google. I just think she is sexy! :rofl

17. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

If anyone that orders blood pulling supplies would mind sharing exactly what you order, that would be great ... there are just so many options on the various sites.

Thanks,

P