Pudgy Does

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Aug 20, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Just aquired two 18 month old does that are a bit on the pudgy side! What do you recommend to lighten their load. They were both in with bucks for atleast 2 weeks prior to coming (and they reek of it!) Not sure if they are bred or not I know excess weight can affect that, so want to get their weight down for them and in case I need to breed them again. Oh they are a Lamancha and a Nubian. They are in a 1 acre pen with trees, weeds, and grass. Do I need to supplement with anything???

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just make sure they are bred. The pudgy doe syndrome is why I don't like to hold them over and breed them this late. At my house they would already be milking for 5 months and had 1 or 2 or 3 kids sold out of them already. If they come into heat next month breed them. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

4. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Why did you stop the animal crackers? Just making sure that they are ok to feed. I get the look, if I don't have the animal crackers waiting after milking.

Also, been meaning to tell you all "Hi".

Wendy

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Animal crackers are fine to feed to your goats. :)

Sara

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Yep, animal crackers are good for lots of things. We usually put some in our pockets at the shows - keeps the goats "occupied" if things are moving slowly in the ring!!!

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you have to understand Goater fed cookies /animal crackers etc to the point of obesity /unhealthy

8. goatershubby

goatershubby Guest

Actually I don't think we were feeding unhealthy amounts of animal crackers, somewhere in the range of a pound a day for 30 milkers and we were probably eating a fourth of those :blush2 When we started trying to cut white flour, sugar, and hydrogenated oils out of our diet, we looked at the animal crackers and decided we and the goats had to give them up.

9. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thank you for not making me give up my animal crackers. I was just imagining the snorting, stomping, and all out rebellion when the cookies didn't come out.

Wendy

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member