pros and cons of payment options

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by [email protected], Oct 27, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

The guy I talked to at the health food store said there are several ways they do payments. They buy the product outright, sell on consignment and you can rent a portion of the store space. What's the best way to go with these options, or if you don't mind could you share how the stores you sell to handle the payment aspect of this? I don't want to be totally ignorant when I go and talk to the guy.

Right now all I'm looking to do is a two tiered shelf with 60 bars~ so obviously I don't need a huge amount of space.

Any ideas for me?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Unless it's a venue you simply want to be in, I don't do consignment nor do I bring soap to stores and setup. I sell soap. Now I do have several stores who I bill, send the soap with a bill, which they pay in 30 days or they get a phonecall. The first order is prepaid period. If you consign, they can give you back product that is unwrapped, and they really don't have any insentive, not owning the product, to sell it like they would if they owned it. I made my decision early on that I would sell outright only and not do farmers markets etc. Now my daughters have talked me into a Christmas booth along with the WOW booths they do throughout the year. vicki

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I do not sell on consignment, nor do I set up
    Like vicki, I only sell soap.. I tried the other ways and it was not for me.. As Vicki stated they have no rreason to sell your soap since they have no money or interest generated in it.. it just sits there..
    I do the shows once in a while, it is where I have gotten many of my regular customers, they usually just start buying from me direct..
    Barbara

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I do very well with consignment but if given the choice I'd always sell the product outright. The only terms I accept are cash paid in full by the time of delivery. I never accept payments, it is way too much trouble. I have never lost a sale because of it, no one has even asked for it.

Christy

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

O.k. that all helps me. What is set up?

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Set up is when you put the products out for display as opposed to the store being responsible for setting everything up. I tell my stores (within 45 min. from me) that if the order is over $500 I'll come and personally offer assistance in merchandising the products. Stores love this! If you are good at merchandising it is a good selling point.

Christy

7. Huminbird

Huminbird New Member

I just have two stores who started selling my product. The one who I sell it wholesale to has it on her front counter right next to the cash register and has sold over 20 bars (allot for me being my first store). The other store has it on consignment and wanted as many bars as I would give her but has only sold two so far and has them in a back dusty corner. She also returned the bars that have lard in them. Ug...I should have listened and not done consignment. I charge her more for consignment but in the end I doubt it will be worth it.

8. Sell outright if you have the chance. I do consignment in two small shops owned by friends and so far it has been great. But I prefer wholesale and unless I know you that is all I do.
    Becky