Procedure for CL Testing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravenwood, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

My apologies if this question is redundant but I can't find the answer when I search. Can someone walk me through the procedure for CL testing? Does this need to be done annually?

Thanks!

2. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

From what I understand, (someone correct me if I am wrong) the current test for CL is of little use unless testing the actual abscess. I would save my money and forget testing except for individuals who has an abscess. These should be isolated, tested and culled if positive.

Testing for CAE however is much more reliable.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UMM don't know abt that Tim as they can have internal CL and never have an abcess the internal kills them so I would think testing for CL would be the only way to know. Maybe it is not reliable but IMO neither is CAE sometimes

4. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

True, the test will probably detect CL if there are active abscesses internally or external.

5. Odeon

Odeon New Member

If you test for CL you also need to know if the herd vaccinates for CL. A goat can be vaccinated against CL, but would test positive (show high teeters?) due to the vaccine, yet NOT have CL.

I know a lot of Boer herds vaccinate for CL as a preventative, even tho they have never had CL.

Ken in Idaho

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Ditto on what Ken said. But, if you suspect that your goats have been exposed, by all means, test them. CL is sure not something you want to get rampant in your herd. The CL test is done by blood sample, just like CAE and can be done at the same time you test for CAE. Internal abscesses are deadly!!

7. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Also CL will live outside of the body for a LONG time, unlike the CAE virus. So once an abscess bursts, it will live in the soil, can be tracked from pen to pen, live on the wood of the barn, feeders, etc. The internal abscesses can burst, and if in the lungs, it can spread by caughing.. NASTY stuff!

8. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

I was wondering if this is a routine test that people check for, like CAE. By the sounds of it, no. I have a closed herd and have not had any abcesses in any of my 30+ goats. None have been vaccinated either. Dr. Paula Menzies was talking about vaccinating for it at a goat conference I attended last summer and she said if you are not having abcesses appearing in your herd than not to vaccinate. Once abcesses have surfaced in your population she said to cull heavily and vacc the rest.