problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by catdance62, Apr 18, 2010.

1. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

I have a doeling that is about 5 weeks old. She had her cocci prevention (Di-Methox) for 5 days when she was 3 weeks old, as did all the other kids (total 15). a few days ago she developed the scours, watery yellowish liquid. I treated her again for coccidia, this is day 5, and no improvement. I am going to try giving her Valbazen again (she had already had previously). She is dam raised. Any ideas? She is acting alright, playful, no fever. None of the other kids have this problem.

2. lexnspice

lexnspice New Member

I'm no expert, but I would give her some peto-bismol for her tummy, and could help with the dirreaha, I would'nt keep treating her for coccia, or worms unless I knew for sure what was up. I wouldnt have wormed her yet anyway, but we all have are different timetables and prevention programs. the first 5 day preventive was good, I also do mine at 3 weeks. Wait for some one more inform in the know how, but I would go ahead with the peto-bismol. Patty

3. Dana

Dana New Member

You need to do a fecal and see what is going on. If it's cocci then you know that you need to give Di-methox again. If it's worms then you need to worm her with Ivomec or something like it for parasites.

4. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I would do a fecal. She probably has worms and you need to use whatever wormer works for you adult goats. When a baby is raised with the adults, then you have to worm them the same as you would adults, along with doing cocci prevention.
    Theresa

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When you do use antibiotics or in this case a sulfa, guessing, if you don't have relief of symptms in 24 hours you guessed wrong. Other than tapes and liverflukes, Valbazen is not the wormer of choice for your goatlings when they are around their dams poop. Yes you should have used Valbazen or another white wormer for tapes, but you should already be giving her with it Cydectin your adult wormer. Knowing what worms you have in your adult herd is so much more important this time of year for your prevention in your kid. Vicki

6. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I recommended Valbazen for possible crypto infection. This is a common cause of watery yellow foul copious stools without fever. Patty we always do a Valbazen worming early for kids. Warm wet soils and early winter graze areas with not much growing and lots of goats on them can spell damage very early in this area of the country. We worm by fecal sample but have in some years needed to worm twice by 6 weeks. In a group of 15 for only one to be ill I would not suspect a widespread Valbazen resistant parasite problem.

My understanding is that a scour fecal is not accurate and you do have to guess.

Lee

7. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

I will try to fecal her today. Honestly, even though she had it all over her legs that first day when I started treating her, this a.m. was the first time I had actually seen it coming out of her bum. Thanks for all the input

8. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

I thought I would throw in an update here---Carmela is doing a lot better and her poo is almost completely solid. They are all due to start their 6 weeks treatment next week and I plan to go on and treat her with all the rest just to make sure.