Problem with new doeling??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

One of Sydney's doelings seems to have a stiffened and somewhat arched neck. It isn't arched back over her back, but forward and down some, like a trained arabian horse. It seems swollen right where the neck and shoulder area meet and seems painful to the touch. It seemed stiff, rigid in this arched position and I held her and rubbed it and she relaxed, but there is a definite swelling. These 2 doelings were in a small pen by themselves last night and she was fine at 2:30 a.m. She took her bottle this morning and I set her down on the ground and she seemed to stiffen and arch her neck. Any ideas? She was second born and I pulled her out and there was no trauma at birth or that I know of. This doe did not have Bo-Se prior to kidding and I have not given any to the kids. All does got their Cd/T 3 weeks prior to kidding. EDITED: Now that I think about it, I do remember when she was born that I thought this was the buckling and why I thought that was because I remember her neck was a little bigger. She was wet in the wee hours of the morning so she was probably born like this and I just wasn't coherent enough at 1:30 in the morning to really notice it well.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

give the baby some BoSe had one that I had to pull a few years back and her neck got stretched in the process hung for abt 2 wks.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Navel ill can start with any muscle stiffness. I learned this from the Carlson's at Swede farm. I kept insisting that without fever, without a swelling abcess or wet cord, without some edema in the feet...well without some sort of symptom of navel ill other than this stiffness that then was down in the front legs...it isn't navel ill. Well it was navel ill :)

Email LeeAnn, my GM book isn't right here with me, and I know the drug they chose to use worked so well I wrote it down to use instead of Naxcel if I ever get this again.

If it isn't an injury, or being pulled at birth...than navel ill is my guess. Vicki

4. Cotton Eyed Does

I edited my post above. Now that I am thinking a little clearer, I believe she was born like this.

I will go give her 1/4 cc Bo-Se.

Someone on another board suggested that it could be a thiamine deficiency??? I keep out Sweet Lix Goat minerals for the girls.

How long does it take for Naval ill to show up? She was born around 1:30 or 2 this morning. I dipped naval cords and feet immediately after birth.

Think there is any chance of her having a reaction to the Dex I gave her Mama?

5. ellie

ellie New Member

Any bacterial infection is going to have an incubation period longer than a day for symptoms, maybe up to a week --may be more.

Good luck...
    Ellie

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope shouldn't have anything to do with dex given to mom

7. Cotton Eyed Does

She is still the same today. Really has me puzzled. If you hold your pointer finger straight up and then bend it down about 1/4 of the way and look at it from the side... that is what her neck looks like from the side. Just bent over forward. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. Don't know if the doe could have been butted while she was pregnant and broke this baby's neck??? or if she was cramped up in there with her head wedged down or what. She is eating fine and jumping around. Baaas and acts normal in every way and she is the prettiest colored of the 2 doelings. She cannot raise her head up very high due to the hump. Maybe she will grow out of it. Maybe it will "heal" if it is an injury... I just don't know. I'll give her some time and see how it goes. Maybe I'll run her out to see Doctor Mary tomorrow and see if she has ever seen anything like this.

8. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Christine, we had one last year that sound like what you are describing. When it come to labor, his mom wins the prize. She will bear down so hard that she will fall over. And if the babies are presented correctly, she will push so hard they will literally land 2 to 3 feet behind her and will fly with great force. I will be tending to a kid and my daughter will say "mom, there is a bubbl...." and before I could move 2 steps, there is a kid landing on it's head then falling on its back with all four legs spread eagle. Talk about a rude awaking!

Last year, we got there just after the kid hit the ground. So don't know if he came out frontwards, backwards, sideways.... His neck was swelled and he couldn't lift his head. He ate fine and otherwise acted fine. But had very limited neck movement. In fact he looked like a miniature buffalo because of the hump and we called him "bulldog joe". Since it was a buck, we didn't go anything for him. The swelling went down and he was just fine and grew out well. My guess was that his head may have been turned back and he came out that way. As this doe is serious when it come to labor.

Hopefully you have something like this going on and all will be well!

Good luck with the kid.

Leslie