Problem Batch of soap - need help

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by jimandpj, Nov 27, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I encountered my first big soap problem. :(

I premix my lye and keep it in the barn where it is safe from the children. Well, apparently it froze a little bit. I have not been pouring the lye through a strainer because my children lost it and I haven't replaced it yet. (stupid me) So I didn't realize it until after it was all poured and I
    saw lye crystals in the bottom of the pot.

So, there are some major lye crystals in my finished soap.

If I rebatch - will that take care of the lye crystals? And if so how? Do I have to try to stick blend it again? Can the blender even handle that?

My main question is - will rebatching make this soap safe? How do I know?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Thanks!!
    PJ

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Personally, I would not use this for soap, even rebatched and I certainly wouldn't sell it.

I would make laundry soap out of it... it's wonderful stuff!

Sara

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Yep, just laundry soap
    Barbara

4. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thank you! Thank you!

I wanted to just throw it out b/c I didn't feel like it could ever be safe to use. But I didn't want to just give up if it could be salvaged.

As mad as I am at myself to have made such a stupid mistake (especially when I know better), I'll just chalk it up as a lesson learned and not attempt to rebatch.

PJ

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Wow I can't believe it could freeze....like vodka :) Course not that we get freezes for me to help you out with this :) But I do strain as routine here. Vicki

6. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Yeah - I couldn't believe it. I keep the mixed lye in an unplugged freezer that has a hasp on it. Well, apparently it didn't get locked and was left open. Temps dipped into the 20's. That's the only explanation I can think of, because I've never had trouble with it before.

Hopefully when I warm it back up, the crystals will dissolve.

I always used to use a strainer and then the children lost it somehow. And I got lazy. :( Won't make that mistake again. I still can't believe I ruined that many bars of soap. I'm going to get 2 strainers, so I always have 1 as a backup!

PJ